30lb honey bucket size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Would someone with a 30lb honey bucket somewhere to hand be kind enough to give me a rough idea of height/diameter? I can easily fit four 15lb buckets or two full sets of super frames in my newly-bodged warming cabinet, but I'm not convinced there'll be enough height for two 30lb buckets with the design I have. If it's possible to fit two 30lb buckets in somehow then I might consider an alternative layout.

Thanks,
James

Height 210, dia 310 mm.

However not an official bucket but a ex bakers fondant bucket I think.

If building a warmer and you have the room, make it bigger say 6. If you stick to your four at some point you will be busy kicking yourself.

Easiest conversion is a chest freezer. Mine did tons over it's life time.

They stack and warm no bother by the way.

Err why would you want to put frames in?? Just curious.

PH

rough idea of height/diameter?

Definitely rough. It will rather depend on the manufacturer.

Mine happen to be 266mm diameter by 260mm high. They are just the ten litre size of whatever range you happen to get locally.

Those expensive ones from Th8rne are likely to be one of the common ones used, but only because they are supplied to lots of beeks. They (Th8rne) likely change their supplier as prices/availability alter.

RAB

Thanks for that. Mine is based on an old chest freezer, which although fairly small should hopefully suit my needs for the moment. Assuming it works well (and why shouldn't it?) I'll probably try a larger one. Large chest freezers tend to find a second life as animal feed stores around here (I have a couple myself), but I have a six foot high upright freezer that I was planning to turn into a smoker. That might be suitably capacious when the need arises.

I was thinking it might be useful to be able to put frames in if I'm a bit slow getting OSR honey extraction done. No idea if it would work, but I'd be prepared to experiment with the odd frame or two to find out.

James

I thought your thoughts might be in that direction.

However if you try to extract warm combs then the wax is also warm?

That coupled with granulation will blow the combs pretty effectively.

PH

Well, yes, but if there's heavy granulation then the combs may well be a write-off anyhow, so I'm prepared to experiment a bit. Obviously it's far more desirable to get the honey out before it starts to granulate, but work and/or family commitments have a way of interfering sometimes...

James

When I used a blower to dry off honey through the supers one had to be VERY careful with the initial spin as with the wax being slightly warm it took not much granulation at all to blow the comb.

And the top supers (12 high) would be the cooler ones and with the blower off the lower ones were cooling as the stack was worked through.

The devil is aye in the detail...

PH

Back