I am a beekeeper!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbh4

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My 9 year old son, Joel and I have just taken delivery of our first colony of bees :D so we have moved from being hivekeepers to beekeepers. We bought an overwintered 5-frame nuc from a local BK who has kept bees for 30 years (10 hives or so) and lives about a quarter of a mile from us. He has offered all the help we need. At the same time we are doing the beginners course at the local association, though it has only involved talks so far and does not move into the apiary for another few weeks. Let's hope we learn quick!

This forum has been an invaluable source of information and opinion (!) during the planning stages so thanks to everyone.

I'm off to edit my profile ...

Paul

Now the fun and head scratching begins, enjoy them, treat them well.
:hurray:

Forgot to say, it cost £110 for the nuc. I get the impression that is quite a good deal, especially with after-sales service thrown in.

P

I envy you, i have 2 weeks tomorrow before i get my "first" nuc. I have been walking up and down the apiary like an expecting father waiting for his first new born baby to come along.

Good luck to you :cheers2:

Last edited:
Congratulations on becoming a beek. Enjoy this year of constant learning. You will get stung a few times but they become minor issues very very quickly and then it is all interesting and fun.
One observation I have from my early learning Is to buy some large plastic containers to store frames, supers, etc over winter. E bay has lots - made life easier, tier, and more hygienic,
Congratulations,
Sam

I presume your nuc wasn't simply moved a quarter mile to your apiary?
Otherwise your £110 might not be so good after all when half the bees fly home.

£110 is actually very good for such an early nuc. They'll pay you back in honey by the end of the season.

Hi Paul, welcome to the crazy world of bee keeping!
i picked up my 2nd nuc on saturday and i was just as exited as when i got the 1st!
hope you and your son enjoy the bee's. :)

I envy you, i have 2 weeks tomorrow before i get my "first" nuc. I have been walking up and down the apiary like an expecting father waiting for his first new born baby to come along.

Good luck to you :cheers2:

Its worth the wait! :)

Congratulations Paul! What a great hobby to share with your son. My kids are both a bit too small to help with the bees yet but I can't wait to buy my daughter her first bee suit. Although, she did burst into tears when a beetle crawled over her foot yesterday - not sure how she'll react to thousands of bees!

Good luck with your bees!

Andy

I think we all wish we'd started with bees when we were younger. Age nine sounds just about right. I'd now have 55 years beekeeping experience instead of 33!

keep a good diary, I could have written a book on my exploits if only I was young enough to remember them .... who am I?
Welcome.

Latest posts

Back