question on nuc width

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BERNIE

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
could anyone tell me the internal size of 5 frame nuc. 5x35mm=175mm+10mm for clearance=185mm or am I wrong in my thinking?

You are exactly right Bernie. If making 4, 5 or 6 frame nuc box just the 10mm allowance plus 35mm per frame.

now for the next question is it more versatile to make 14x12 or normal broad depth for nuc.and why?

thanks for confirming that did not want to waste my time and material.

now for the next question is it more versatile to make 14x12 or normal broad depth for nuc.and why?

14x12 top bee space is best

As normally they ignore under the frames, so whether it 20mm for a 14x12 or 110mm for a standard uner the floor in your Nuc the only thing they will do with it is draw a bit of drone comb if they are full elsewhere and think they schould swarm

and you cant put a 14x12 from a 14x12 brood in a standard Nuc

width, i just make them 230mm wide external, then i can put two on top of a brood box to keep warm, or unite....any other width means you have diffuty re combining

You are exactly right Bernie. If making 4, 5 or 6 frame nuc box just the 10mm allowance plus 35mm per frame.

but that only works for hoffmans, Narrow spacers are 36.5mm for metal or 37m for plastic ( thornes)...so you would be too tight, best to make them 230mm external at half the width of a brood or 1/3 width at 153mm external for 3 frames Nuc

Last edited:
Hijack: views on building in OMF or ventilation panels into nuc floors? What size?

i make mine with a full width Mesh floor for varroa managemnt with a varroa board in correx ,

see my plans but have seen them with just one 100mm circular hole cut with a hole saw ( ie ventalaition and not Varroa control

thanks for the advice did not think about putting two on a broad box.do you turn the entrance in the other direction 90 or 180 degrees?

thanks for the advice did not think about putting two on a broad box.do you turn the entrance in the other direction 90 or 180 degrees?

two nuc 180 degrees but 90 to big colonies main entrance, when i use the big colony to keep them warm

if uniting one nuc then just one full nuc and one empty Nuc with floors removed above the brood box and roof on top of all ...my omf floors are removeable but screwed on, but i am thinking of converting to slip hooks so can be more easliy removed

what a simple but clever idea.a picture says a thousand words.muswell you are a fountain of knowledge.

what a simple but clever idea.a picture says a thousand words.muswell you are a fountain of knowledge.

i used to buy the equipment for my grandfather and he had 200 hives in the 1970s...but i never at that time showed ANY INTEREST in his bees...it was just a paid evening job for a bit of money..when he died in 2000, i found i had been bequeethed his last two hives...and 100,000 live bees...been trying not to kill them ever since :seeya:,

these thingys from thornes

Yes they look good MM but the screw head on the main body of the Nuc will cause a few problems when you push two Nucs together. I think you will have to have the screws set so they line up with a shallow hole on the adjacent Nuc to accommodate the screw head and then both sides will be flat together.

Yes they look good MM but the screw head on the main body of the Nuc will cause a few problems when you push two Nucs together. I think you will have to have the screws set so they line up with a shallow hole on the adjacent Nuc to accommodate the screw head and then both sides will be flat together.

Or put the spring clips on the ends and use a side entrance....

Hijack: views on building in OMF or ventilation panels into nuc floors? What size?

I have built full floor OMFs into my Nucs (2 x 14x12 and 2 x Std Nat)
Done on the basis that I can always shut it off with a piece of ply gaffa'd to the bottom but I can hardly open them up if they aren't there in the first place. To date I have never had to close up an OMF on a Nuc.

I don't over winter nuc's so on that basis they can handle any heat loss in the summer, need some ventilation anyway and I'll get a varroa drop with any luck. R

i can tell you are a good joiner, had not thought of that :biggrinjester:

BACK TO SQUARE ONE

If you are putting the nucs on the main body you won't need the floors on so don't need the slips - can you just not remove the top screw and insert again when it's all done?

Nucs are better made with a decent OMF as with out it it is possible to suffocate them when making them up.

PH

Latest posts

Back