Can I use preserving sugar?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Having spoken to my local mentor he suggests feeding the girls to get them up into the next section. Can I use preserving sugar (which I have lots of) or do I need to go shopping?

From a quick look at Google, Preserving sugar is merely a larger crystal sized sugar that disolves slower and so produces less scum when boiled for making jam etc.so yes it's perfectly safe to use to make syrup for the bees.

My fear was that it might be a pectin added product, but that is not so. The only real problem is that you may well have paid a premium for your sugar, so don't be making a habit of it :)

Bookers seems to be one of the cheapest places for bulk sugar. Some outlets have 25kg bags and others do the packs of fifteen 1kg bags, which I personally find a lot easier to handle, store and use.

You need to have a look on the packet what it contains, anything other than pure sugar forget it, you need granulated and use warm water to disolve the sugar.bee-smillie

Thanks, that's what I thought but wanted a secound opinion! Can you go to Bookers without a business now? When we had a shop they were quite sticky about that?

Thanks Gillybee - as Hombre says preserving sugar is just normal sugar in larger crystals. I have loads, and won't be making any more jam this year so may as well use it for this.

Bookers, beekeepers and sugar

They still ask for a business name, in the same way a scorpion can't help but sting, it's what they each just do naturally.

Present your BeeKeeping Association card as your bona fides and your business name is your name.

BBKA seemed to get in on the act somewhere along the line, but the truth is that Peter McFadden of Conwy BeeKeepers was instrumental and the offer was extended to all members of Bee Keeping Associations.

Low priced, great value sugar from Booker*Wholesale
2009 August 8
by Pembrokeshire Beekeepers
Some good news for those feeding bees or stocking up for the autumn feed in this press release from Bookers.* Thanks to Conwy Beekeepers (Peter McFadden) for negotiating this for Beekeepers’ associations in England, Wales and Scotland*
Members of* beekeepers’ associations are*now welcome to shop at any of Booker’s 173 trade-only Cash and Carry stores.* Booker’s price for granulated sugar is about 60p per kilo, compared with*84p (Lidl, own brand) up to 93p*(Tesco) per kilo at supermarkets, offering members great savings.
Booker is a trade-only wholesaler, and each member should register individually with their local store.* When registering, each member should present their current BBKA membership card if in England, or their current BDI insurance certificate or local BKA membership card in Wales, or a letter from their local BKA secretary or local BKA membership card in Scotland. (There are no Booker stores in Northern Ireland). They will then be registered and able to shop straight away.* A membership card will be sent by post within 14-21 days.
*Payment is by cash or debit card when leaving the store. Members can visit www.booker.co.uk to find their nearest Booker store.
This new arrangement has been approved by Booker head office, Northampton in discussion with Conwy BKA, North Wales.
*Booker contact: Melanie Balmer

Once again a big thank you to Peter for his Sterling work, or the Welsh equivalent of course. :)

Melanie Balmer is Bookers Head of PR and not to be confused as being a relative of Steve (barmy) Ballmer of Microsoft fame.

That's fantastic Hombre _ I didn't realise that there was any sort of arrangement like that ... brilliant!

Double checked Tate & Lyle website too, which states
What's the difference between jam and preserving sugar?Jam sugar contains added pectin and citric acid to ensure a good quality set even with the minimum of boiling. Preserving sugar contains no additives and dissolves more slowly than the standard granulated, reducing the risk of burning. It also allows any impurities to rise for easy skimming, so giving a brighter clearer set.

Has Anyone Tried This !!!

They still ask for a business name, in the same way a scorpion can't help but sting, it's what they each just do naturally.

Present your BeeKeeping Association card as your bona fides and your business name is your name.

BBKA seemed to get in on the act somewhere along the line, but the truth is that Peter McFadden of ***** BeeKeepers was instrumental and the offer was extended to all members of Bee Keeping Associations.

Once again a big thank you to Peter for his Sterling work, or the Welsh equivalent of course. :)

Melanie Balmer is Bookers Head of PR and not to be confused as being a relative of Steve (barmy) Ballmer of Microsoft fame.

Just wondering if anyone on here has tried to register with Bookers using the BBKA membership card, or Association membership card, do they accept it?

BKP...

Ditto, my checkout operator the other day (you can go in anytime and buy anything) asked how the bees were settling for winter. He then proceded to tell me how other regions bees were going - I asked if he was a keeper, and he said 'No, just hear these things on the grapevine!'

Latest posts

Back