Eke and "deal"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all

i'm a newbee after some advice. I have 2 national hives, 1 with a standard BB and the other with a 14x12 BB. Can anyone advise as to the dimensions to make an eke to allow for 14x12 frames in the standard BB? I realise i can measure the outer depth of the 14x12 BB but I am wary about allowing enough bottom bee space internally?

I'm also considering the "deal" hives sold by Maisemore - presumably these are softwood (or ply) and have a shorter lifespan than red cedar and need regular treatment?

thanks for any replies!

Maybe missing something here, but surely the bee space is the same for standard and deep nationals, so the eke would need to be the difference in height - 12 1/2" - 8 7/8 = 3 5/8"

I know a bee inspector who uses the Mainsmore deal supers - he says that as long as they are treated OK they will last and last.

Hi, my thornes catalogue says that Nat brood side bars are 8 1/2" and suprisingly 14 x12,s" are..... 12". So I would think that 3 1/" eke would do.

However, I use OSB boxes only and have made all my own kit so far (apart from frames & Q/E). so I guess you'd know better than me. none made with cedar or deal yet so cannot comment on how good deal is, but yes it would need preserver on it, a bee safe one. It does seem quite popular, I think.

Hope this helps:.)
Di.

Thats confusing then, I was working off difference in side bars to make eke size, guess I got it wrong:.( sorry.

Hi all

i'm a newbee after some advice. I have 2 national hives, 1 with a standard BB and the other with a 14x12 BB. Can anyone advise as to the dimensions to make an eke to allow for 14x12 frames in the standard BB? I realise i can measure the outer depth of the 14x12 BB but I am wary about allowing enough bottom bee space internally?

I'm also considering the "deal" hives sold by Maisemore - presumably these are softwood (or ply) and have a shorter lifespan than red cedar and need regular treatment?

thanks for any replies!

One of my Ekes is 90mm without any bottom bee space let into the sides as it normally sits on the floor of the hive 18 mm sides . i have thornes one that has bottom bee space of 7mm and that is 89mm

i have found no problems with bailey changes using the 90mm above a standard brood box for the short time the are drawing 14x12 comb

so a 460x460x 90mm but jointed box will do..or you can buy a thornes one for £25 plus

Latest posts

Back