Wasps around hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar overwintering habits as the bumble bee then. There have been lots of bumbles here in Cumbria this year. I have seen a few wasps trying their luck. The wasp traps are doing their job well and I'll be putting up wasp guards on the hive entrances shortly.

When you say wasp guards are you talking about the entrance that causes wasps confusion ?

Thank you, very interesting. Our bees are coming this week, so will the colony be vunerable or will they have been able to build up enough defences in time do you think. Obviously we won't be intending to try and get any honey this year, just let them make a home.

From what I've read, making the entrance smaller later on will give them a better chance, am I right? Paul will know all this but I would like to try and work it out for myself to see if I've understood properly.

Karen

When you say wasp guards are you talking about the entrance that causes wasps confusion ?

I bend a piece of clear plastic ( the sort of rigid cellophane you find on boxes of chocolates/Christmas cards is ideal) so that it has a profile rather like this

_|¯|_

but with no gaps and is the length of the entrance.

This is then tacked over the entrance block so that the wasps can still see the entrance but the only way in or out is at either end. The bees discover the way very quickly but the wasps just batter themselves against the plastic.
I don't know if the contraption has a name, it's just something my mentor showed me on my BKA course.

Ahhh, makes total sense. Is this a commonly known device? Does anybody know? If not, we should call it the erichalfbee gate ;)

New to me! Might try that, but my normal method is to keep strong colonies.

I am happy enough if just the occasional wasp finds it's way in, but comes out, either very sharpish or within about 5 minutes (carried by the bees). That way I know they can easily cope with the persistent probing by the wasps.

Much easier to prevent them gaining access, than stopping them once they overcome the defences.

A couple of fine wires strung along that strip of clear plasic channel section might just be good, with a remote 'zapping' button to temporarily connect an EHT supply. How many wasps have you see battering at any particular time?, says he, off to search out the electric fencer energiser from the garage.....should be more than adequate, as long as the 'lightning' doesn't upset the bees.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Not seen many before today, but now they are everywhere - in the house, garage, shed apiary. I've set up wasp traps around the garden.
I like the idea of Eric's device which has the advantage of being annoying for the wasps! I think I'll make a few. Do you leave out the entrance block?

I'd agree - this last week has seen the amount of worker wasps increase ten-fold. I was up at my main apriary (now have 3) with my father today (just standing and watching) and I noticed a couple of jaspers flitting about the hives.....and it only takes a strong colony of jaspers to wreck a hive...belive me.

I have a couple of recently hived swarms that need an entrance block - which they will get tomorrow. While I like the idea of the plastic guard, the problem is the weather at the moment is rather warm and a small gap either end is perhaps too little for a strong colony ?? Although 90% are on open mesh floors so perhaps this mitigates the problem....

S

oh and Spain won. I walked into the pub, saw 10sec and the winning goal. My WC over and done with in 10 sec. fine by me !!

I use something similar only more substantial :)
Made of perforated aluminium , requires no fixing ,just sitting on the alighting board .
One end is closed off , the dimensions allow 2 bees to pass.Should a wasp find the entrance ,she has to run the gauntlet of the guard bees.
Needlees to say , this design would cause problems during a honey flow and is only deployed late late Summer , and only then if the hives are under attack!!

John Wilkinson
I will take a picture and post later !

I would love to see a pic Victor, there is so much to learn and so many ways of dealing with the problems that arise. As I don't have much experience yet, pics would explain things much easier. I will look out for them :)

Latest posts

Back