Contaminated beeswax foundation sheets.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
You can never be sure.

Germany - October 23, 2016 Honey bees in danger. Contaminated beeswax foundation sheets possibly coming from China, are causing the death of the bee brood (larvae / embryos) and hives in Germany and Europe. Some analyzed fake beewax sheets, contain petroleum based Paraffin and large quantities of Stearic and Palmitic acid. Fake beewax is very dangerous for beekeeping and for human health because can be transmitted even into the honey. German an European Ministries of Agriculture and Consumer Protections are alarmed and advise beekeepers not to buy unfamiliar and cheap products.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ge...ontaminated-beeswax-foundation-124220147.html

Also some interesting discussions elsewhere about the problem...........
http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...gium-and-the-Nederlands&p=1475741#post1475741

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?329845-Beeswax-from-China

Last edited:
That has always been my fear not knowing where the wax comes from. About time for a change in the law. If it's description says Beeswax foundation then it should only be beeswax.

Is there any test one can do to confirm if it is beeswax

You can never be sure.

Use you own wax, make your own foundations? Yes new beekeepers may becat a disadvantage - but never buy cheap chinese!

Is there any test one can do to confirm if it is beeswax

A simple melting point test should do it.
Using one of those nice cheap electronic thermometers you can get.
From China.

Would Dadant foundation from America be too expensive? I use thousands of sheets a year, and find it very good.

Wax quality isnt my primary reason for making my own foundation (though its an important consideration )but rather I like the idea of a sustainable apiary ;)

I do now, had enough of problems with bought in foundation.

From what I understand, the initial sheet of wax is easy enough but it's too brittle at this stage and has to be rolled to make it pliable. I've looked at rollers but they seem horrendously expensive. Is there an easier/cheaper way?

Would Dadant foundation from America be too expensive? I use thousands of sheets a year, and find it very good.

Probably too expensive by the time it got here, Mike.

I have used lots of bought in foundation sheets supplied here that have been okay, but also had lots of sheets that haven't been okay.

Perhaps you two should sell it to us on the forum ;)

I have asked before but he only produces enough for his business. I have made my own but very time consuming with a foundation press but the bees love it. A good idea would be that associations buy a roller and rent it out

Go foundationless ... at least you know that the bees know what's in it ...and they just love building their own comb ! When you see the boxes of filthy dark brown wax being traded in for new foundation at the shows I just wonder what cleansing process it goes through before being pressed into new sheets ?

Go foundationless ... at least you know that the bees know what's in it ...and they just love building their own comb ! ...

It's an option, but a lot of people don't want to wire their frames.

I've always found it strange that a fair few of the so-called organic, or treatment-free beekeepers, buy foundation without thinking about how clean it might be, or where it comes from, and then spend time each week sprinkling powdered sugar into their hives.

I don't wire starter strip frames and have just extracted both deeps and shallows. I believe that long and slow is the answer...

I don't wire starter strip frames and have just extracted both deeps and shallows. I believe that long and slow is the answer...

My extraction session at full speed in a motorised radial already takes over a long weekend.
Couldn't face the prospect of going long & slow- better thing to do in life.

When you see the boxes of filthy dark brown wax being traded in for new foundation at the shows I just wonder what cleansing process it goes through before being pressed into new sheets ?

The mucky dark brown wax from the solar extractor I give SWMBO to clean up tells me she just melts it and filters it through kitchen towel. Comes out lovely and clean, although final wax colour varies a bit. It sure don't look like the stuff that went in.
Maybe that's all the major manufacturers do, although I suspect they don't use kitchen roll towels as filters.

Latest posts

Back