And now they're selling it as a weedkiller!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
The most powerful property of Manuka is its hype. -Modern snake oil, innit?

No JBM....it's the oil not the honey :)
Isn't it a bit like teatree? That's supposedly good for head lice :D

I like manuka essential oil better than tea tree.
But to use essential oils as weedkiller sounds very heavy duty to me. Growing the plants alongside maybe. But application of essential oils?

Plant on plant warfare is not uncommon, remember plants are not nice passive players in the environment. Google "Plant Allelopathy"

What life forms are not eating others, competing with each other, interacting and influencing each other, constantly, in order to stay alive?

A bit off the beacon track but can someone tell me when we dropped the word insecticide and replaced it with pesticide and when has a weed been a wild plant when I thought a weed was something that was not as strong or virile as another of the same species or something that is sickly

I thought a weed was just any plant that's growing somewhere a human doesn't want it to grow.

Doesn't tea tree oil come from a manuka bush? Are they not the same? Do they call manuka honey...jelly bush honey or is that something else?

Doesn't tea tree oil come from a manuka bush? Are they not the same? Do they call manuka honey...jelly bush honey or is that something else?

manuka is called the new zealand tea tree and produces manuka oil but not the same as tea tree oil which comes from a different australian plant

manuka is called the new zealand tea tree and produces manuka oil but not the same as tea tree oil which comes from a different australian plant

I've used tea tree essential oil for treating White line disease in horses feet....worked really well. Just dug out the black diseased area in the hoof...soaked some cotton wool in the oil and pushed it into the hole. Huge improvement within just a few days.

Yanks, :patriot:

don't you just love em, pouring gallons of whatever next on their food then selling it to us?

So, what is a naturally occurring substance;

Actropine - Deadly nightshade?
Rhubarb leaves - oxalic acid?
Hemlock?
Arsenic?

I've used tea tree essential oil for treating White line disease in horses feet....worked really well. Just dug out the black diseased area in the hoof...soaked some cotton wool in the oil and pushed it into the hole. Huge improvement within just a few days.
I will try this Tremyfro, and there I was looking for beekeeping advice :) I can cure the pony instead

Yeah, I'm as bad maintaining the pony as I am going to be the hives. That's why I take no notice of little tips and things that I hear.

Back