new

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannygolf1959

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
hi all,i have read up and watched every youtube video as I can about beekeeping. I have been interested for several years but never done anything about it. Now I have decided to take the leap. I am now in the process of buying all the equipment. have recently purchased a new national hive and some other stuff. Now I have a million questions that I ope you nice people will help me with,,thanks danny

Hi Dannygolf, welcome to the forum. i would advise you get as many books as you can read and also join your nearest beekeeping association. They will have planned workshops where you can make mistakes with others and ask millions of questions.
Have you put your name down for a swarm or ordered one from a known supplier. You might find them in short supply ?
Best of luck.

Richard

Welcome. Your questions are welcomed.....the answers will be varied in accuracy, quality and politeness so you have to chose which to disregard but the majority will be helpful. A lot depends on how and why you keep bees.... Looking forward to your first panic question!
E

Welcome, you will get lots of advice on here good luck.

Hi, Danny, welcome. As well as this forum being a good place for asking questions, there's lots of interesting stuff in old threads too if you search around a bit. :)

Hi Dannygolf, welcome to the forum. i would advise you get as many books as you can read and also join your nearest beekeeping association. They will have planned workshops where you can make mistakes with others and ask millions of questions.

:iagree:

One important thing to remember that 90% of the beekeeping videos on yootoob are well worth forgetting - made by numpties and guaranteed to teach you the wrong way to keep bees :D

:iagree:

One important thing to remember that 90% of the beekeeping videos on yootoob are well worth forgetting - made by numpties and guaranteed to teach you the wrong way to keep bees :D

Should we have a thread where we link to good ones? :)

Should we have a thread where we link to good ones? :)

Good idea. I do like the National Honey Show lectures for the theory and more 'geeky' parts of the hobby.

Welcome, I'm about to start my first season too having purchased an over-wintered Nuc. Good luck! Exciting times

books

hi again, I should have mentioned I have read about 10 books over the last 2 years(my local library is great). I purchased the beekeeping for dummies online and I'm reading it cover to cover. I haven't ordered bees yet and don't intend to do so til I get the hands on help from my local beekeepers that I need.The last thing I want to do is cause the bees or myself any unneeded stress.I have kept and bred birds(canaries) for many years and I thought I would try bees for a refreshing change. cheers again Danny

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

I was enquiring about my local beekeeping club . I emailed them and they emailed me back with all the details. My problem is they hold all there meetings a courses on a Wednesday and Thursday. I work 14hrs shifts and don't get home on these days til 10pm so I don't see the point in becoming a member. On the bee side, I am picking up a nuc this week from a reputable breeder and I'm like a kid on Christmas eve. Any advice would be very much apprieciated. cheers Danny

Latest posts

Back