What Is This

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I'm usually on the ball with flower's and such but this shrub has slung me.. it is drab and has tiny bell like pink/purple flower's that i was alerted too by the wasp activity around them several week's ago.. the wasp's are now leaving it alone but the bees love it...(maybe because i'm killing them lol)

Anyway you bee keeping Botanists what is it..lol

Hiove%20wasps%20016%20-%20Copy_zpst4xsfiia.jpg

She loves it

Hiove%20wasps%20021%20-%20Copy_zps9osxrylq.jpg

Hiove%20wasps%20019%20-%20Copy_zpsvrxmo8s6.jpg

Don't know but there is a good App called Like that garden which you taker a photo of the flower then it cross references the photo with its bank of photos

It looks like a bush I have which I asked about in here a couple of years ago and the consensus was Symphoricarpos orbiculatus aka coral berry. Mine produces pale pink berries after flowering. Very easy to strike cuttings and attracts many insects including bumblebees honeybees hoverflies and jaspers.
Strangely this year the bumblebees have been all over it for weeks but it's only had honeybees find it in the last few days.

I was just looking at bees on this shrub behind my house,came in to read the forum and noticed it was the same plant.

Thank you so much; I like Tim S' certainty about coral berry ... I will check the plant more closely and do an online comparison between coral berry and snow berry. Thanks for all the feedback and yes, Millet, those pics were fantastic!

Let us know what colour the berries are! There should be plenty with all those girls a-buzzin'

Back