Wasp trap recommendations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Which wasp traps are the best at catching large numbers of wasps. I am after something effective to leave at an out apiary. :thanks:

I am using tap traps: Use a 2l plastic bottle. Fill with 0.5l beer and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Attach the tap trap & hang from tree or other support.

I've found them very effective at catching wasps & hornets. I emptied one of 3 on Saturday and had a good 20 of the b*ggers! The other 2 traps have even more.

Had the 'pleasure' of stomping on an Asian Hornet yesterday (I'm in France)when in my wellies. (It had just got a bee & had fallen to the ground to behead it....so I took my oportunity to eek revenge!)

Which wasp traps are the best at catching large numbers of wasps. I am after something effective to leave at an out apiary. :thanks:

Catching large numbers is not the answer.
Understanding how wasps behave in sweet feeding is paramount.
You need to catch the scouts and prevent them escaping to communicate with the rest of the nest. High efficiency traps catch few wasps.
Have a look at www.waspbane.com and click on the beekeeping tab. There is lots of very useful information there.
I have the traps downwind of any "weaker" colonies.
The best defence is a strong hive and a small entrance, however.

You need to catch the scouts and prevent them escaping to communicate with the rest of the nest. High efficiency traps catch few wasps.
Have a look at www.waspbane.com and click on the beekeeping tab. There is lots of very useful information there.

:iagree:

We are deep in the countryside, and wasps arrive around now every year. I use waspbane traps, as above. They work best if you can get them out before you see them in numbers, so you get the scouts before the whole nest learns about your hives, as Erica has said.

They do come with pretty good guidance, including how to try and use the trap to draw away wasps already prevalent in a place (such as by your hive).

Best defence is a good strong colony though! Have learned through bitter experience!

Latest posts

Back