Clearer board ... DIY

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I know there have been a number of threads in the past about clearer boards and a variety of home made ones have been shown ... but all the pictures have now disappeared so perhaps, as I now have some honey in a couple of supers, would be a good time to resurrect the subject ?

I want to make a couple to use on my hives but there are so many variants .. what type do you use ? Photos would be helpful....

I rather like the look of this one: The Turbo Clearer - a beekeeper I know bought one and reckons it's the best he's ever used ... but you know my penny pinching ways .. I have enough materials to make one if they are any good.

Pictures courtesy of Dave Cushman/Roger Patterson site.

Attachments

• turbo clearer 2.jpg
    turbo clearer 2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 47
  • turbo-clearer 1.jpg
    turbo-clearer 1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 65
Looks cunning...

I suppose you could make up the labyrinth from straight stripwood offcuts AND use a simple single rectangle of mesh ...

With any of the rhombus-type clearers, it seems to be worthwhile not skimping on the frame (eke) height. 3 inches is good. 1 inch not so good.

This is a simple board I made and used last year.
Bought rhombus escapes and the rest I made from ply and some wood offcuts.
Important thing is to make sure there is plenty of space below the escape or it all gets glued to the box below!

I put them on in the morning and remove the super in late afternoon / evening.

Attachments

• IMG_8750.JPG
    IMG_8750.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8751.JPG
    IMG_8751.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8752.JPG
    IMG_8752.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 33
This apparatus works well. The Bee escape.

BKCattriangleescape1.jpg

This is a simple board I made and used last year.
Bought rhombus escapes and the rest I made from ply and some wood offcuts.
Important thing is to make sure there is plenty of space below the escape or it all gets glued to the box below!

I put them on in the morning and remove the super in late afternoon / evening.

what way up do these go ?
with the rhombus above or below the crown board ?

below
Bees go in through the big hole, exit into the box below through small hole then go directly for the big hole to return forgetting about the small hole. Bit like bees with windows really

I use Polyhive's design.

Cut the rhombus in half and drill 2 holes near the corners of the board and fit the plastic under, works a treat. I did put some piccy's up a while ago when this issue was last revived but can put some more up if needed.

Last edited:
So ... best idea is to make the clearer board and the eke to go with it as a separate item ... I was thinking of making some 100mm ekes to take a couple of slabs of Kingspan to go on top of the hives (I have been using supers for this) so perhaps kill two birds with one stone ...

I can't see that 100mm will be a problem as an eke for a clearer board as they are not left on for long ? Or are those famous last words ???

I use Polyhive's design.

Cut the rhombus in half and drill 2 holes near the corners of the board and fit the plastic under, works a treat. I did put some piccy's up a while ago when this issue was last revived but can put some more up if needed.

Yes ... I remembered PH's original thread on this and looked - but all the piccys have gone ... might be worth posting them again as it's going to be a good late spring and lots of supers will need clearing (Wishhhhhh.....). There's plenty of newbies on here this year that will appreciate this thread I would think.

Shouldn't be on for that long! :)

With a decent clearance under the rhombus/labyrinth/6-way, the bee traffic is very much one-way and supers are cleared quickly (hours/same-day). The less headroom above the topbars, the more return traffic, and the slower clearing IMHO.

I've been happy with the standard rhombus (plastic part £2.38 @ Thorne), but tried a 6-way from their sale last year. Can't say I noticed a difference in performance.

Yes ... I remembered PH's original thread on this and looked - but all the piccys have gone ... might be worth posting them again as it's going to be a good late spring and lots of supers will need clearing (Wishhhhhh.....). There's plenty of newbies on here this year that will appreciate this thread I would think.

I don't have the pix but the idea was to cut the plastic rhombus - a short cut across the middle - to make two triangles, each with one small bee exit. These are mounted in the opposite corners of the board - cut edge up against a side wall. The board needs a (nice big) hole for the bees to access the base of the triangle.

I was going to make one, but ducked cutting the hard plastic as the standard rhombus has worked so well for me.

Here is the board that was photo'd last time just covered in prop. now. The frame is 20mm deep which leaves 10mm below the rhombus. I've used 9mm ply to give the screws enough grip.

Attachments

• GEDC0966.jpg
    GEDC0966.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 33
  • GEDC0967.jpg
    GEDC0967.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 55
I use Polyhive's design.

:iagree:
clears the supers in no time at all

I can't see that 100mm will be a problem as an eke for a clearer board as they are not left on for long ? Or are those famous last words ???

Not left for long so they shouldn't fill it :D but I find that 20mm is ample as a rhombus clearer board

I was going to make one, but ducked cutting the hard plastic as the standard rhombus has worked so well for me.

Just flat surface and a decent hacksaw, no problems.

Thanks Tim ... that's the one ... couldn't remember how they went - obvious when you see the photos and cheap as chips at £2.38. Might push the boat out and buy one to try next time I'm over towards Stockbridge, might even get very rash and buy TWO !!

I'll have to go and lie down now .... the thought of all that expense !

Thanks Tim ... that's the one ... couldn't remember how they went - obvious when you see the photos and cheap as chips at £2.38. Might push the boat out and buy one to try next time I'm over towards Stockbridge, might even get very rash and buy TWO !!

In the sales they were a pound and a half each. I have a few more than two now :D

From a national supplier down in town they are £1.40 each and postage should be no more than £2.62 for 2. I would offer to get 2 for you when I go into town to buy milk but I would probably pay more than the quoted carriage cost to post them on.

Shouldn't be on for that long! :)

With a decent clearance under the rhombus/labyrinth/6-way, the bee traffic is very much one-way and supers are cleared quickly (hours/same-day). The less headroom above the topbars, the more return traffic, and the slower clearing IMHO.

I've been happy with the standard rhombus (plastic part £2.38 @ Thorne), but tried a 6-way from their sale last year. Can't say I noticed a difference in performance.

They are never on longer than 12 hours (depending on my work schedule) but originally I didn't have enough gap below the escape and the bees glued it to the top bars of the super below!!!

Strong hives build wax or add propolis at an amazing speed when they want to !

If I'm short of time I will finish off removing bees with my leaf blower.

Last edited:

Steady on there!......must be the thought of all that honey! Sending a rush of blood to the wallet!

Back