Pollen Stores not Insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Sorry for starting a new thread on this. However, insulation may not be the determining variable (ceteris paribus assumption) as to the level of colonies' food consumption, but the level of pollen stores as this will determine the level of winter brood rearing which in turn is the largest consumption of stores.

My colonies went into winter 2013, as some of you may recall with fewer winter bees than I would have liked and next to no pollen (thanks for all your hard work on that one itma). As a consequence they could not rear any brood to speak of until pollen was available in spring in my locale. I would not say that my colonies went into winter with more stores than previous seasons, but it was the first season I had to remove excess stores.

I think this hypothesis is founded and worth the effort to experiment it.
I would make three groups of hives at the end of season.
1. with plenty of pollen stores (4-5 frames)
2. with no pollen
3. without manipulation
I believe the experiment is feasible in a country where there is no available pollen for foraging after the autumn feeding.

I think this hypothesis is founded and worth the effort to experiment it.
I would make three groups of hives at the end of season.
1. with plenty of pollen stores (4-5 frames)
2. with no pollen
3. without manipulation
I believe the experiment is feasible in a country where there is no available pollen for foraging after the autumn feeding.

Not In the UK then.
Cazza

insulation may not be the determining variable (ceteris paribus assumption) as to the level of colonies' food consumption, but the level of pollen stores as this will determine the level of winter brood rearing which in turn is the largest consumption of stores.

Winter brood rearing is certainly a major drain on stores, and adequate stored pollen is necessary for brood rearing - but it appears that hive humidity may also play a part ...

The late Bernard Mobus held the opinion that winter brood rearing is probably initiated by a rise in the cluster's water balance - which would undoubtedly be a direct function of the hive's internal humidity (which is something I have a particular interest in). He writes:

The observations of brood in mid-winter and the brood stops also seem to indicate [that]: Brood rearing in mid-winter is initiated by a gain in the water balance of the whole cluster. It has therefore a high survival value for wintering colonies, even though food consumption is increased.

High survival value ? But not if they starve ...

Jefree pointed out that “optimum-sized colonies” have fewer population losses in winter than those with smaller or larger than optimum. We can now confirm this and explain it as follows:
. Larger than optimum clusters will develop thirst.
. Smaller than optimum colonies will accumulate an embarrassing water surplus.

Flights for water can restore the balance when thirst develops; if this is not possible then bees will die from dehydration. These bees come from the centre [of the cluster], are accustomed to warmth without contributing to it and will chill quickly. Cleansing flights can alleviate an excess of water from a cluster.
When this is not possible, dysentery would seem to be inevitable. Brood rearing is a natural way out of the dilemma and the production of liquid glandular secretion – brood food – removes water from the individual. Higher cluster temperatures increase rates of evaporation. This and/or any changes in the weather which permit cleansing flights and lose clustering may then enforce a brood stop.
If no such cleansing flights become possible and brood rearing is not possible either, (due to queenlessness, old queen, caged queen, drone laying queen, a cluster too small to maintain brood nest temperatures, protein exhaustion, Nosema), then dysentery is unavoidable for such a cluster.

His concluding remarks contain a warning about insulation:

Nuclei can overwinter if housed in special shelters and if assisted during exceptionally cold spells. On the other hand, we should always remember that very strong colonies can be damaged by heavy insulation or by attempts at artificial hive heating. Losses due to thirst and delayed spring development can be the result.

LJ

Poly hive, who used to post on here, often mentioned his and Bernards observations about the wooden hives being more advanced in spring than poly hives/ heavily insulated hives, the idea was they had more water available than the poly hives, and so used it up by starting to brood earlier, and the poly units would usually catch up a few weeks later.

Latest posts

Back