tiny white things moving on varroa floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
One of my hives seems a bit damp, probably not enough air circulating.
Today, on its varroa floor, along with some varroa mites and other debris I saw a lot of minute (<1mm) 'insect like' creatures moving about. They are very pale or white.
I have no idea what they are. Too small to photograph. Does anybody else have any ideas?
These critters are not found in my other 'dry' hives.

I have no idea but I wouldn't worry about them! It will help the air circulation if you leave the tray out!
E

Those white insects are probably Collembola (a group that includes springtails). They are an ancient flightless group of insects that feed off fungal hyphae and organic debris. They tend to be found in damp places

Angej.... Just to clarify, the open mesh floor that we use should be kept open all year unless checking for varroa drop. We used to have solid floors but we now believe that although cold can be a perceived problem bees are able to keep their heat fairly easily, however a closed hive can cause condensation and damp is more of a killer than cold. There will be condensation in the hive but with a mesh floor that drips out whilst on a solid floor it just creates a moist atmosphere.
However.... It is also considered useful to help the bees conserve stores by supplying some form of insulation at the top of the hive where all the warm air rises to, it also helps them to get going in the spring. It is not essential but it is considered advisable.
Hope this makes it clear for you
E

Thank you for clarifying this Enrico ( also Itma and Oscarmonster). I'm really glad I looked at this thread as I had clearly got it in my head that the sliding 'varroa tray' was integral to the floor and that the correx sheet sat on that during the varroa count. Also sorry Grif for hijacking your question:thanks:

In general, little ones are harmless ( might be pollen mites too). I have loads; my tray is in for varroa treatment). It's the big shiny round brown ones you need to count; varroa looks like a crab. Big is relative obviously.

This little white things. Get a magnifying glass and count their legs. 8 legs = mites, 6 legs = insects. I think TTLTB is probably right that they are mites as I have seen mites on the trays but not seen collembola yet (insects seen on my inserts include wax moths, ants and earwigs all big enough to recognise even with poor eyesight). I also get mouse droppings on the trays sometimes.

Latest posts

Back