Swarming nightmare continues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Combined nuc from my lost swarm (one of many) with a Q- hive 10days ago, today Qc's and skinny queen ready to go again. AS done.
I don't think I will get much honey this year. So far its a constant build up, lost swarm, build up AS, combine hives, build up, swarm, AS, Queen cells again. Grrrrrrr!!! I'm getting fed up with this now. I want to enjoy my bees again :-((

Combined nuc from my lost swarm (one of many) with a Q- hive 10days ago, today Qc's and skinny queen ready to go again. AS done.
I don't think I will get much honey this year. So far its a constant build up, lost swarm, build up AS, combine hives, build up, swarm, AS, Queen cells again. Grrrrrrr!!! I'm getting fed up with this now. I want to enjoy my bees again :-((

Sell them and they might come back.

It may be a good time to invest in a few queens.

I have one hive that I checked this week looking for the new queen laying and hive with swarm cells so you are not alone in a small way.

I am amazed at how quickly my hobby has suddenly required significant money and time. Suddenly I look like needing 5 new hives... a lot of money.

Been there , doing it.
The sh1tty swarm today is in a homemade ply hive because I've run out of kit.
Any more swarms can go hang somewhere.
I refuse to buy any more kit on the off-chance something may need it!!

Tim. :hairpull::hairpull:

I bought 3 new queens about 6 weeks ago. 2 already lost as swarms... not buying anymore. I also am not buying anymore kit!!!... just keep combining and splitting

Talk to locals in your area, Buckfast are supose to have low swarm tendency according to Brother Adam.

SNAP:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Agreed! One of his queens heads my only colony that is filling supers at the moment. Very gentle productive bees. A joy to work with.

I am amazed at how quickly my hobby has suddenly required significant money and time. Suddenly I look like needing 5 new hives... a lot of money.

Its the same here in Suffolk, I have gone from being new to this a year ago to 2 hives 2 months later to 4 more hives this year. On the plus side I now have 6 hives and have found better and chaeper hives than the main bee people sell. Plus I have 6 colonies for the outlay of 1. Also have made good. Freinds on here when Asking advice. Could be worse I suppose.

Back