New Zip

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The two way double ended zip holding the fencing hood to one of my suits went ... it was my spare suit and it wasn't immensely expensive but the original zip really was not very robust, Narrow plastic 'cogs' and the 'runners' were made of such poor metal you could actually squeeze them shut with your fingers. The suit itself is really nice material and has all the bells and whistles you get on a really good suit ... just a pity about the zip.

So ... I've found a firm that supplies replacement, 36" double ended two way zips (which is what you need if you're replacing the zip between hood and suit).

Really helpful firm - they do the zips in various colours but mine was white, including postage £7.67 and arrived within 24 hours. The cogs are still plastic but they are proper jobs and the runners are real heavy duty. They sell just about every zip known to man ...

Obviously, I can use a sewing machine so that's all the cost but any reasonable seamstress should be able to do the repair given the zip. I suspect I'll be back for a zip for the front of the suit in due course ...

Jaycotts in Chester. www.jaycotts.co.uk

Thanks that could prove to be a very helpful post (but hopefully not if you know what I mean ) ;)

There has been a lot of debate over time here about the extent of commercial links and endorsements. I think this is one of the examples where a mention is really useful. They're not obviously bee related, not a national chain, so few will be aware of them. If it enables a longer life for bee suits when otherwise repairs are uneconomic, then so much the better. There are a number of zip suppliers who trade through eBay but hard to see what the product quality is like.

.... There are a number of zip suppliers who trade through eBay but hard to see what the product quality is like.

I started off contacting suppliers on eBay but the problem was the need for a double ended zip that allows you to separate the two halves in order to remove the hood and have the two zippers ... Didnt get any joy at all .... This type of zip is a pretty rare animal it seems ...

Latest posts

Back