can I use my wife regal icing waste to feed my bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbadger07

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 colonies
The wife just made birthday cakes for our children and given me the leftover coloured icicing fondant. Does Amy know if you can feed the bees this. Its coloured and its got animal fat in it also tho I think this would be quite good for them.

The wife just made birthday cakes for our children and given me the leftover coloured icicing fondant. Does Amy know if you can feed the bees this. Its coloured and its got animal fat in it also tho I think this would be quite good for them.

No. It has additives not good for bees.
Bees aren't partial to a bacon sandwich normally ;)

The additives will make them fly backwards

I don't imagine coloured icing would do the bees too much harm, especially in small quantities. It would be very interesting to see where in the hive the coloured sugar ends up. Of course, there's a remote possibility that it would get moved around a few times and you would end up with coloured honey in the supers come the spring...

Apparently that sort of thing used to happen in WWII when beekeepers were issued with sugar that was dyed to prevent it from being sold on the black market - they discovered that bees actually move stores around the hive to a greater extent than had previously been thought.

Never mind Amy.....perhaps it was her cake.
bbadger07 should give the icing to travelator then it won't be wasted ;)
:sorry:

undecided at the moment

Not Amy I meant any. Thanks to those who gave constructive advice

Never mind Amy.....perhaps it was her cake.
bbadger07 should give the icing to travelator then it won't be wasted ;)
:sorry:

The offer is welcome as I have a birthday cake that needs icing! However (and perhaps I should have been clearer about this) I'd prefer not to try it on my own bees just in case I end up with tinted (or tainted?) honey.

Are your children still alive and behaving normally? If so, maybe OK for bees

The offer is welcome as I have a birthday cake that needs icing! However (and perhaps I should have been clearer about this) I'd prefer not to try it on my own bees just in case I end up with tinted (or tainted?) honey.

Thank you for taking this jest as it was intended. :)

Are your children still alive and behaving normally? If so, maybe OK for bees

My kids are alive and kicking after eating jam with up to 500 as against 5 parts per million hmf ,I doubt if the bees would!
Bin or eat . I doubt the colouring doing any harm but confectioners use emulsioning agents etc.
Better feed with fondant of known ingredients :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yorkshire bees.... was there jam with the cheese ;) ?

No I don't think so, I didn't taste it though.
He might have told me where to go if I had asked him for a bite of his dinner as well!

Latest posts

Back