Mike Palmer, Queen rearing. National honey show.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Queen rearing at the sustainable apairy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7tinVIuBJ8&feature=youtube_gdata"]Queen Rearing in the Sustainable Apiary - YouTube[/ame]

Yes thanks for posting the video Hivemaker, i will look forward to watching it when i have more time, i find Mike very interesting he makes a lot of sense. Chris not worthy

Very interesting. Thanks.

Really don't undertand why the bees don't fight. Is it his bees or do other also find this?

Really don't undertand why the bees don't fight. Is it his bees or do other also find this?

With bees of good temperament it is no problem uniting them, most of the things done, like spraying,dusting,newspaper uniting, are not needed, feeding or better still a honey flow helps, even introducing queens,virgin or mated, it can just be done direct most times, if conditions are right.

Last edited:
With bees of good temperament it is no problem uniting them, most of the things done, like spraying,dusting,newspaper uniting, are not needed, feeding or better still a honey flow helps, even introducing queens,virgin or mated, it can just be done direct most times, if conditions are right.
That is really useful to know (and not what it says in the books; well the couple of books I have anyway).
Thanks.

In Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey, BA talks about direct introduction of a new queen...Catch the new queen from her mating nuc. Remove the old queen from the colony to be re-queened. Release the new queen in the de-queened colony.

He does say though that if the queen is special...a valued breeder queen for instance...you should take further precautions.

Really enjoyed the film on queen rearing think I will have to look at it a few more times, thank you Michael also hivemaker for the post cheers and happy new year

Watched the video now and found it very good, i will have a go at increasing the number of nuc`s i over winter this year as i like the idea of not taking brood and bees from the production colonies, also watched Mikes clips on swarming prevention and the importance of being stung, which i found very interesting especially the part about being exposed to bee venom from cloths etc and not being stung leading to a reaction when actually being stung, great stuff Mike thanks Chris

Where were these other clips please?

Where were these other clips please?

Hi Itchy, they came up when i had watched the original video after it had finished, i guess they are on youtube, if you can not find them try there hope that helps Chris

Back