Bayer' New Varroa Weapon?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting....the only thing I couldn't find on there was any suggestion that the chemical might be transferred to the honey and is it dangerous to humans. ...... Seems to be the most important thing to me, or did I miss it!
Edit. Having re read it I see they are looking for residues if the chemical in honey and wax, with no results yet!
E

Last edited:
The plastic strip is coated in chemicals. Whenever a bee passes through the gate, it touches the edge. This transfers a mite poison (acaricide) to the bee and kills any mites it may be carrying.

Almost certainly a different means of applying the same pesticdes, to which the mites develop resistance.

It also looks like a very effective means of stripping pollen from the bees.

I doubt it will get to market.

isn't it just a new way of delivering standard bayer acaricides.

and at constant low doses - just what the mites need to maintain resistance.

of course field trial data will look fine - take acaricide naive colonies, fit varroa gate, mites die over a period of weeks. close study.

but what about regular/long term use.

bad. bad. bad.

cynical big pharma trying to repackage product.

avoid - better a full dose intra-hive hit, if needed, after a few years acaricide free.

I assume that this method has a much better control on the dose. I also cycle between treatment types.

1 - What bees are used by phoretic mites for transport from one brood cell to another?

2 - What bees go in and out of the hive entrance?

Nurse bees (so very young) are principally used as transport by phoretic mites.
Older bees, particularly the oldest, are foragers and make up most of the entrance traffic.

Targeting the wrong bees.
Surely they ought to know that?

I will be interested to see how it develops as one of my apiaries suffers from, I believe being re-infested by bees from someone trying to raise an 'hygeinic' strain.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

What is the difference with Apistan strips. Apistan was inside the hive between brood frames and that new acaricide is in hive entrance. The idea is to rub that chemical to bees.

I think they are missing one thing, Pollen, Judging by the size of the hole the bees have to get through in the diagram I don't think there will be much pollen left on the back legs

We need to know what the chemical is.

Seresto=Imidacloprid and Flumethrin

see pdf,trying to research the chemicals is a difficult task I am a physicist not a chemist but if it Seresto for imidacloprid READ neonicotinoids see Wiki quote below but Bayer dont say what it is

Recent research suggests that widespread agricultural use of imidacloprid and other pesticides may be contributing to honey bee colony collapse disorder, the decline of honey bee colonies in Europe and North America observed since 2006.[8][9][10] As a result, several countries have restricted use of imidacloprid and other neonicotinoids.[8] In January 2013, the European Food Safety Authority stated that neonicotinoids pose an unacceptably high risk to bees, and that the industry-sponsored science upon which regulatory agencies' claims of safety have relied on may be flawed, or even deceptive

and flumethrin is a standard pyrethroid treatment used in Bavarol strips (similar to apistan) and has already developed resistance and causes a few problems itself with bees memory (see 2nd pdf), so lets hope it is not Seresto

Last edited:
I think they are missing one thing, Pollen, Judging by the size of the hole the bees have to get through in the diagram I don't think there will be much pollen left on the back legs

After while bees will make smaller pollen packs to get through as they adapt to pollen catchers - I presume.

Seresto=Imidacloprid and Flumethrin

... but if it Seresto for imidacloprid READ neonicotinoids ... but Bayer dont say what it is

That really would be Bayer taking the mickey ... but as you note, they are surprisingly careful to avoid mentioning what they might put into this thing
Scientists are still fine-tuning the formulation and application rate, and are testing two Bayer substances on bee populations in the field at various concentrations.

The mention of Seresto was regarding the design inspiration from cat and dog flea collars. However, if they reckon they understand the release of those chemicals from their polymer, it would make sense (for them) that they would just tweak the formulation as little as they could get away with.

But selling Neonics to beekeepers would have to be Bayer's idea of a fun way of getting some revenge ...

That really would be Bayer taking the mickey ... but as you note, they are surprisingly careful to avoid mentioning what they might put into this thing

The mention of Seresto was regarding the design inspiration from cat and dog flea collars. However, if they reckon they understand the release of those chemicals from their polymer, it would make sense (for them) that they would just tweak the formulation as little as they could get away with.

But selling Neonics to beekeepers would have to be Bayer's idea of a fun way of getting some revenge ...

it could be their new pyrethroid Baythroid XL but unlikley to be their oil based insecticides due to uptake in waxr

Well I'm pretty cynical when I hear anything that comes out from the likes of Bayer that purports to 'Help the Bees' ... I suspect that, as more and more beekeepers, seek alternative (or at least lesser) IPM methods that Bayers profits are in that sector are falling. So ... for 'Help the bees' read 'Help restore Bayers Profits'.

It's a LOUSY idea anyway .... lol

I suspect, that if this works, the income generated will be a drop in the ocean compared to agrochemical revenue.

I suspect, that if this works, the income generated will be a drop in the ocean compared to agrochemical revenue.

Not really the point for business heads, they are scrabbling for the last pennies before most beekeepers kick their junk.

Their professional pest control products are good!
Never used any bee related ones.

Their professional pest control products are good.

No doubt. Would you use them on your food preparation surfaces before eating food from them though ?

Of course not, and don't want them in the hives either

Back