Hefting hives - unreliable/useless?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Many threads and posts on value of hefting. Doesn't work for me - I have been caught out more than once over the years i.e. assumed hefting weight is OK and then found low or absent stores when colony has expired. I advise weighing (see my current thread on weighing hive/using luggage scales).

Must be what one gets used to, i have never weighed a hive to asses stores levels, find it very quick and easy to pick out the light ones which need a feed, from the heavy ones which don't.

It us useful guide. If it is heavy then there must be stores. If it feels light then add feed. Quite simple really, I would never suggest you get down to the last few lbs before beginning to consider feeding. It really is common sense and not an exact science!
E

It is not so easy for the one hive owner - having more means you can compare and contrast. Only one hive and I think I would weigh.

Hives that do not survive the winter often have plenty of stores, so I look inside and give fondant if required, directly above cluster.

When I was one hive owner I wouldn't risk just feed fondant anyway it Wil all be gone in time for flow

I find that when I heft hives to check the weight, after one apiary they all feel heavy. I tend to over feed if I estimate. So, I too weigh the production hives.

I used to weigh with a spring scale and two people. Big job weighing so many by picking them up.

springscale1.jpg

springscale2.jpg

With this scale, I can do the work alone, without lifting anything. Actually, the taller the hive, the easier it is to weigh.

packagescale1.jpg

weighinghives2.jpg

weighinghives3.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics where's the bee suit?

When you tip, you hope all the boxes are stuck together!

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

I try food stores with hefting in spring. It is useful habit.
If the hive is light, I open the cover nd look in.

in 2/3 feeding I weigh hives with bathroom balance It has been usefull to catch hives which have not taken food enough.

I put balance under one side of the hive.

Last edited:
-Hefting hives - unreliable/useless?

Maybe it is down to the operator? Some that can and some that can't? Some that can learn and some that can't? All down to ability?

Sometimes it may be the tools at fault, but there is a saying that says don't blame them.

Many threads and posts on value of hefting. Doesn't work for me - I have been caught out more than once over the years i.e. assumed hefting weight is OK and then found low or absent stores when colony has expired. I advise weighing (see my current thread on weighing hive/using luggage scales).
all measurements have a degree of error
One should at least try to measure the error in ones hefting using some weights in simulation of the situation commonly encountered e.g. Hive stand or not.
Probably better to get some else to change the weights so you can't self suggest.
Perhaps a hefting competition to liven up BKA meetings?

Back