The bees shout. The queen is dead long live the queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Its a bit of a wet day in the South East so before I venture out I thought I would post this photo to see if perhaps the newer beekeepers can spot the two queens. The big fat momma is easy enough but the just mated or virgin not so.

Well one's easy enough as you say, but not sure about the second. Shame they don't come with a big dollop of paint on them. not worthy

Cracking picture.... Ok if I print it out and use it?
E

Head is buried

Cracking picture.... Ok if I print it out and use it?
E

No problem either copy that one or send me your email and i will send you it and the other photos but they are even harder to spot Bothe queens, bees just don't cooperate sometimes.

Yes, of course I can see it.

Too easy.

Seemples.

I won't reveal where so as not to spoil the fun.

Dusty.

(Errm, are you sure you can see it Tom? Perhaps you'd point her out - for the benefit of others, you understand.)

(Errm, are you sure you can see it Tom? Perhaps you'd point her out - for the benefit of others, you understand.)

Just to help Tom out:
use full screen, the second queen is( From the top right) three inches in and two and a half inches down.
T'other one is from the bottom left corner three inches across and two up :D
Can you see her now Dusty?

Last edited:
Just to help Tom out:
use full screen, the second queen is( From the top right) three inches in and two and a half inches down.
'Tother one is from the bottom left corner three inches across and two up :D
Can you see her now Dusty?

Speaking as the world's worst queen spotter and least observant man (I once walked past my own wife in the supermarket when I was looking for her) I can see 2 there that could be her- one head down with a dark tail to the SE, and a lighter one with her tail to the North. Can we have another clue please?

PSW if anyone was thinking of getting me Where's Wally for Christmas, don't bother.

JBM,

What size is your screen?
Can you supply measurements for the more go-ahead and the younger members who don't use those old units?

I found the 'difficult' one first as the pic was bigger than my miniscule screen.

RAB

JBM,

Can you supply measurements for the more go-ahead and the younger members who don't use those old units?

I found the 'difficult' one first as the pic was bigger than my miniscule screen.

RAB

Multiply by 2.54 for centimetres.
For pixels I've lost count:sorry:

I'm sorry, too. I use S.I. units.:biggrinjester:

There are many out there that might find it difficult to convert and also have not been taught in those old units!

Gotcha, Jenkinsbrynmair!

Dusty.

Are you sure Dusty although Jenkinsbrynmair is close but my screen has her approx in old money 2.5” in from top right and 2.5” down.....but then my tape measure has been known to get it wrong in the past.

Well one's easy enough as you say, but not sure about the second. Shame they don't come with a big dollop of paint on them. not worthy

That would be too easy.:biggrinjester:

They are not my queens but a beekeeping buddy I prefer not to mark my queens and my friend is following. Its far better to get used to spotting her as she has far more identifying features than a single blob of paint and looks better without the paint.

My friend this year had three hives like this all superseding and both queens found on the same frame, the first one we spotted thought it would be 20 years before we see it again but by the end of summer we were expecting it on every hive.

Supersedure not that unusual but to get the two queens on the same side of a frame a few times was a surprise and made me think perhaps do the new queens shadow the old queen?

Its a bit of a wet day in the South East so before I venture out I thought I would post this photo to see if perhaps the newer beekeepers can spot the two queens. The big fat momma is easy enough but the just mated or virgin not so.

I am a complete noob, I think I've spotted them but could you re post the image with pointers. :blush5:

From the centre of the picture, 2 o'clock 5 bees away, pointing down head hidden

JBM,

13 3/8ths by 10 5/8ths

JBM,

RAB

No - nasty french invention (another thing to damn Napoleon's eyes for) I only use them when I really have to or am in a really good mood (which is not very often :D)

But just to help those with their i pads (or our Northern friends with their wayay pads) Top left of the photo (only counting bees in contact with frame) four across then directly down about three - her arse pointing North

Latest posts

Back