Husbandry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree:
It's the same with all clubs and associations whatever the hobby, a few people take the lead but getting help for any function is murder but it's the same people who then make the most noise if something isn't done to their liking.

Getting help with events that need voluntary help needs to focus on asking for small commitments of time. A two hour slot is a good idea long enough for making the effort to get there and not too long to take up a whole morning or afternoon.
Try making a timetable for the event day and putting two spaces for each slot, so people who volunteer have a partner. This can be a good way for folk to get to know each other and to attend an event especially mixed interest events. Remember to have a setting up slot and a clearing away slot. Then after the event make sure at the next meeting you give time for feedback on the day from the members who helped. This is another way for members to get to know each other and feel included rather than an outsider on the fringes of what can seem like a rather exclusive club.

Getting help with events that need voluntary help needs to focus on asking for small commitments of time. A two hour slot is a good idea long enough for making the effort to get there and not too long to take up a whole morning or afternoon.
Try making a timetable for the event day and putting two spaces for each slot, so people who volunteer have a partner. This can be a good way for folk to get to know each other and to attend an event especially mixed interest events. Remember to have a setting up slot and a clearing away slot. Then after the event make sure at the next meeting you give time for feedback on the day from the members who helped. This is another way for members to get to know each other and feel included rather than an outsider on the fringes of what can seem like a rather exclusive club.

Our Association Chairman is excellent for that. Uses Meetup to organise meetings and request help... http://www.meetup.com/apiary/

Means that instant - within 24 hours - help can be summoned for jobs which require urgent action. Also weekly training of newbies.

Much more flexible and I suspect gives better results as there is a large base of potential helpers on call.

you don't need to use the word husbandry to discuss it.

look at the number of threads/posts on this forum. most are discussing husbandry issues.

you don't need to use the word husbandry to discuss it.

look at the number of threads/posts on this forum. most are discussing husbandry issues.

And anyway with this new marriage re-defining law that id!ot Cameroon has pushed through isn't any word with 'husband' in it going to be illegal before long?

And anyway with this new marriage re-defining law that id!ot Cameroon has pushed through isn't any word with 'husband' in it going to be illegal before long?

No, of course not. But now I can call the man that I love and have chosen to spend my life with "husband", just as your wife can.

No, of course not. But now I can call the man that I love and have chosen to spend my life with "husband", just as your wife can.

Didn't know he knew the wife:D my brother (who enterd into a civil partnership some seven years ago with his partner Neil) prefers to use the word partner, but that's what so great about this diverse country of ours - the freedom to say and do as we want (within reason of course!) - still think Cameroon is a buffoon thought (on more than one subject) :)

I bloody love this forum. Where else could you read a thread that starts with bee husbandry and ends with "Cameron is a buffoon"

of course honeybees show an extreme form of same-sex relationship - queen living with all those other females in harmony - whilst having also dabbled with heterosexual relations briefly in her dim and distant youth.

Being able to deliver good husbandry is a skill that cannot be taught or learned parrot fashion, it is acquired over time and with experience.
Which is rather the point of what many of us are doing here. And why the BBKA husbandry exams require that you must have been keeping bees for at least 3 years.

I do find your post rather curious "Nobody seems to mention the art of Husbandry in relation to honeybees" when that's what maybe a third of the post on this form are about!

Back