My New Apiary Site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerNut

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I knocked on a few farm doors last week looking for an apiary site.

I managed to come up with two :cheers2:

This one is a whole paddock, unused for many years as the pictures below will show.

Now, where is that gate?
P9240150_resize.JPG

Ah, I knew it was in there somewhere :)
P9240151_resize.JPG

Oh look, a fence post :)
P9240152_resize.JPG

A whole gate
P9240153_resize.JPG

And it opens :) :) :) :) :)
P9240154_resize.JPG

Now all I need is a large petrol strimmer to actually get in the paddock.

Yours Roy

Hmm, Think i will go farm door knocking! :)

It was a lot easier than I expected, and getting two sites in a couple of hours was unbelievable :)

One of the farms already has a small farm shop and they will be selling their honey as well next year :)

Yours Roy

Well done Gingernut!! Looks like you have your work cut out, but it will be worth it!

Well done Gingernut!! Looks like you have your work cut out, but it will be worth it!

Yeh, but I don't have to clear the whole paddock, just cut a path through, somewhere to park the car, and a place for the hives.

I plan to spend Monday with a hire petrol strimmer in there getting (hopefully) all that done.

I still need to clear the inside of the gate, but I need to strim around there to get at it first :)

Still, weather is supposed to be nice on Monday, so It should be a good day........then I need to make a start on the other site which is not so big, but I think a large quatity of 'Roundup' might be in order :)

Yours Roy

If you were closer I would come over with my tractor and flail mower and sort that out for you in a few minutes !!!

Regards
Darren

I was busy cutting the grass and trimming hedges in the spring in an out apiary when the farmer spotted me and came over with the tractor and grass cutter,he laughed at me saying ask first as he has many "Weapons of mass destruction in the barn".

It took him 3 minutes to do what was about 2-3 hours work with my Briggs and Stratton kit,saved me a few bob in fuel as well.

Admin,

Do you use a strimmer?

I tried one and gave up because the bees went nuts! Some beekeeers use huge landing boards so they don't have to worry about grass growing in front of the hives...

........then I need to make a start on the other site which is not so big, but I think a large quatity of 'Roundup' might be in order :)

The bigest problem with using something like Roundup.....which appears on the surface to be a good idea is that:-

A) You will still be left with all that brush, but it will be dead.
B) Something else will eventually grow in it's place.

Much better to get in and clear it....with whatever means are available and then keep on top of it by mowing in some form. If it's been a paddock in the past a bit of regular cutting will soon encourage the grass back again.

Good find though.......

Frisbee

I did use a strimmer until some b*gger nicked it this spring.
Now its just the mower..

I cleared an old orchard of brambles with Roundup. You first have to cut back the brambles with a brushcutter (strimmer with a metal blade) and then wait for the brambles to grow back a bit. It took a couple of applications but they never appeared again and subsequently the shrivelled roots came out very easily when I rotovated it. The same applies to a number of perenial weeds - cut back the old shoots, wait for a bit of re-growth then zap.

Nil points for organic gardening but very effective.

A farmers flail mower, followed by pigs would soon sort that out.

The pigs will grub up all the roots and fertilize it, leaving it ready for a cultivator and suitable seeds.

Then eat the pigs.

Gingernut if you have to clear any brambles with a strimmer you would be better off hiring one with a blade. I do this as my job. If you try and strim brambles it will rip the cutting line out of the spool. With the blade it will cut through it like butter it also cuts grass very well. :cheers2:

Hi All,

Thanx for all the advice :)

I've been to the hire shop now and they recomended a flail mower.............looks dangerous...........so getting it delivered to the paddock on Monday :)

The roundup is for the other site which is over run with nettles, so it will kill them back.

More piccies to folow on Monday :cheers2:

Yours Roy

Good for you GingerNut looking for one my self perhaps it might even get better and you have all the spring, summer and autumn forage that the bees can handle
Good look I think your One hive will be increasing next year

When Gingernut has the hives up and runnning, what's the best method for keeping the grass down under and around the hive stands?
I guess a strimmer will disturb the bees.
I had in mind a sickle or scythe - mind you I've only room for 3 stands (6 hives so it won't ake a lot of effort.

I did use a strimmer until some b*gger nicked it this spring.
Now its just the mower..
I have a strimmer (40cc engine ) the b**ger won't damn well start !!!.
Have been advised to pour neat petrol into plug hole as two strokes left for a long time dry out leaving everything clogged up with oil :(.

John Wilkinson

empty any old fuel in tank and replace with fresh fuel flush out the carb if there is a bleed pump with new fuel, then clean spark plug and spray a little WD40 into the cylinder then without the spark plug pull the pull cord a few times to lubricate the possibly dry piston rings, pop in the cleaned spark plug .... should be good to go. :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back