tbh Half hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I decided to make a 2ft, or half tbh, based on biobees plans. The idea was to try out some ideas before i start cutting the expensive red wood. So I made a test tbh from ply, Have a look, only cost about 20 for sheet ply.

ok so i need to post a few more before i can show you the pics

I then finished the hive with cheap boiled linseed. Its very easy to do and the bees really liked smell and taste they were licking the hive roof, for ages. pics coming soon as i get to 10 posts

Last edited:
I now got an artificial swarm or a split in it. We did a split from a full tbh in its 2nd year, it was creating a lot of queen cups and cells. it was very healthy and the split went well. we split to 3, 1 in a new half tbh, 2 stayed in the full tbh and the queen was moved into this half hive.

Last edited:
4-6 weeks after the split 2 new queens were laying in the tbh, which had 2 a/s separated by 1 each side gap in the middle. now was time to move this half hive to a new site.

now after 2 weeks its doing so well this week inspection it has 11 full drawn out combs, 2 small combs tennis ball size comb being developed and 2 empty bars. This is one tbh split that has gone very well. With lots nectar coming in lots, honey being capped. getting filled up.

Last edited:
i decide to photo all the combs as i am new to this. As i could not see the queen or eggs, when i inspected.

i noticed that there is plenty of eggs on the photos but as a new beek i found it very difficult looking through the veil on a very hot day. So i would suggest new bee keepers take lots pictures if you cant see eggs and the queen. its very cool being able to do a fairly quick photo shoot and then spend all the time you need looking over the pics. I find this a great way for me to keep a log of whats going on. without getting stressed in a hot suit in these temps.

tbh design pics

sv6wbm.jpg

24zws51.jpg

votxyh.jpg

2q05xzd.jpg

5wwevk.jpg

you can see how well the combs are full of brood and also the new comb its clear in the pics there are lots of eggs and grubs but i could not see the eggs with the veil on in full sunshine. So camera is useful as i learn

fnqt5v.jpg

2hp3cx2.jpg

2ns82yr.jpg

xfwx6o.jpg

Bees enjoying the smell and taste of linseed oil.

2qlvgpj.jpg

A simple inspection rack was made to help me take pics. i used the 2 follower boards, as no room in the hive for these now. And a off-cut or old follower that was a template, to make a swivel platform. Easy to dismantle at some future point when i need the followers again in the hive, but for now this is an ideal tool to hold a full comb so i can take pics.

2nbccnd.jpg

just one screw in middle (and a washer) allows comb tool to swivel on the center, so i can quickly take pics and examine the comb.

2la55jk.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back