OSR winter feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
I know this has been asked before but I can't find a thread so bear with me.
If I have a frame of oil seed rape in the brood body can the bees use it for winter feed when it granulates or not?
Andy

There is no OSR near me but the bees collect loads of ivy honey in the Autumn and that granulates like OSR the bees use it without problems. I just make sure that there is a water source close to the hives in the Spring.

I know this has been asked before but I can't find a thread so bear with me.
If I have a frame of oil seed rape in the brood body can the bees use it for winter feed when it granulates or not?
Andy

Uncap it and spray water onto crystals. Put in between larva frames. Bees will clean it.

If it is not granulated, extract it.

Uncap it and spray water onto crystals. Put in between larva frames. Bees will clean it. QUOTE]

Simples eh!! That way the risk of crystallistion contamination is reduced as the bees eat or use most if not all of it.

osr

As far as I am aware, oil seed rape sets solid. It needs to be extracted. The bees can't use in the winter.

Duchy;341382[B said:
]As far as I am aware[/B], oil seed rape sets solid. It needs to be extracted. The bees can't use in the winter.

I have 40 years experience about rape honey with 20 hives and I know what toi do.

But storing honey at all for winter makes no sense. Use sugar. It is as good as honey. Donate honey to unemployded families if you do not need money.

Latest posts

Back