Beevital

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyanwood

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone else tried this? It is a mite treatment that can be used when brood is present and is safe to handle. I was even encouraged to taste it when I was considering buying it at the national honey show. I contains sugar and oxalic acid and other stuff.

I had already bought the oxalic acid, but am reticent to use it as that does upset the bees, which apparently this doesn't anywhere near as much.

Thoughts?

Yes beevital sell what they call varroa sticks... feel a bit embarrassed now... that link makes it look super hippy. No honestly there was research, primarily done in Austria showing it to work.:rolleyes:

Have definately heard of it,but would rather stick to what i know works well and have had good results with for several years. New things i will let others try for two or three years if they wish,see what happens. I have some stuff given to me by some kind of bee owner. homeopathic, rubbish,good for saving mites. Now we have a movie to watch,this stuff,hive clean is being used in devon by some,have not heard many results yet from them.but there were large losses of bee's, last winter, cannot say much yet.

Last edited:
Here is research about stuff

http://www.aspajournal.it/archivio/2008/02_2008/10_akyol.pdf

Controlling Varroa destructor by using Thymovar® and BeeVital®

This study was carried out to determine the effects of Thymovar® and BeeVital® on reducing Varroa mite
(Varroa destructor) damage in honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) colonies in spring season. Average percentage
of Varroa infestation level was determined as 24.27 on adult workers before the treatments. The drugs
were applied two times on 25 September and 16 October 2006. Average percentage of Varroa infestation
levels were determined as 5.18%, 10.78% and 35.45% after the first application, 1.90%, 7.05% and
61.15% after the second application in Thymovar®, BeeVital® and control groups, respectively. Average
efficacies of Thymovar® and BeeVital® were found to be 96.91% and 88.66%, respectively.
Difference
between drug efficacies on Varroa mite was found significant (P<0.01). There was no queen, brood and
adult honeybee mortality in all group colonies during the research.

Last edited:
Thanks for the research and info. I think I should hold my nerve and use it. It cost 80 pence a packet, which is one application. You don't have to wear protective equipment to use it

I have been doing icing sugar and drone culling all Summer and never seen a mite on them. Mite drop low. Some DWV and treated all hives with Apiguard anyway..... so moderately effective seems good enough. Thanks for advice.

It cost 80 pence a packet, which is one application. You don't have to wear protective equipment to use it

Hah hah. Hrubard has about 1% ocalic acid . Keep gloves next time when you eat it.

When I two weeks ago gove onto bees OA, I did not even had rubber gloves.
You may use a spoon and you need not put your fingers into stuff.

200 g OA costs 5 euros = £ 4 Uk.
I got trickling for 100 hives.

Last edited:
Suppose I deserved that! Good job I'm used to you mocking me.:D

I think you should use Beevital's marketing tricks to sell all that honey you are sitting on.

It must cost less gram for gram than a sachet of beevital.

Thats the real good part about oxalic,very cheap,and very effective.and not really any harm to user. Sublimation is also effective,but not good for people.and takes far to long.

Beevital-Hiveclean

I have been using hiveclean for 4 years now with great results. It does what it says on the bottle/sachet- knocks off the mites. It takes only a few minutes to apply and can be applied at any time of year. Oh! and by the way it is a certified organic product.
Regarding the nonsense about oxylic acid, several food items that we eat contain it. You are not in danger using Hiveclean, and yes you can drink it, but I recommend you use it on the bees

I have been using hiveclean for 4 years now with great results. It does what it says on the bottle/sachet- knocks off the mites. It takes only a few minutes to apply and can be applied at any time of year. Oh! and by the way it is a certified organic product.
Regarding the nonsense about oxylic acid, several food items that we eat contain it. You are not in danger using Hiveclean, and yes you can drink it, but I recommend you use it on the bees

What frequency do you use it?

I have some as I am not keen on pumping all those chemicals in.

Some say they use it everytime they open the hive.

Yours Roy

Back