New varoa treatment!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just got this from gill at th....s

Press Release

February 27th 2013, MAQS® Beehive Strip has received registration in the United Kingdom for beekeeper’s use. It has received approval by VMD (Veterinary Medical Department).

The beekeepers of the United Kingdom now have a new tool to combat the most serious threat to its honeybees, the Varroa destructor parasitic mite. Left untreated, Varroa mites will transmit viruses that weaken a honeybee colony. Millions of colonies across Europe have died in recent years from this parasitic mite.

MAQS® is a saccharide gel strip formulation of formic acid, an effective active ingredient that is naturally occurring in honey. Because the Varroa mites reproduce on the developing baby bee, transmitting viruses that deform the bee, their control is being approached as a brood disease. The saccharide gel formic acid vapours released from the saccharide gel strip penetrate the brood cap, stopping the mite where it reproduces. The initial target was the male mite, which never leaves the brood cell. However, trials show that it is also very effective on all stages of the female mite. It is the first mite treatment to successfully target Varroa mite reproduction.

The concept of MAQS® Beehive Strip was first developed in Canada, by NOD Apiary Products Ltd. operating in the UK as NOD Europe. NOD’s personnel worked with BASF’s scientists to overcome technical barriers, the solution to which was BASF’s biodegradable and compostable film Ecoflex®. The resulting treatment is just 7 days.

The physical product will be available in the UK from early April 2013

I might just try it!

I had the same.
I might try it as well. I'm just wondering what the cost will be if it's as good as it's supposed to be.
Also by the sounds of it yo shold be able to treat at any time of year.

Cheaper in The States if you have any contacts there.
I might try it but then I have only four boxes. I'll probably see what it does to everybody else's bees first.
Interesting to read that the brood break if any is for four days or so. I have one colony that I think won't make it through to spring;the queen stopped laying for the whole of an Apilife Treatment. I treated fairly late and I don't think they caught up.

Be prepared to lose a percentage of queens, keep some spares in stock.

Be prepared to lose a percentage of queens, keep some spares in stock.

I like the section in the write up stating not to brake down Queen cells or to kill any Virgins you may find after treatment as they may have superseded, sound like the treatment is a bit tough on them, only to be used on strong colonies

Just got this from gill at th....s

Press Release

February 27th 2013, MAQS® Beehive Strip has received registration in the United Kingdom for beekeeper’s use. It has received approval by VMD (Veterinary Medical Department).

The beekeepers of the United Kingdom now have a new tool to combat the most serious threat to its honeybees, the Varroa destructor parasitic mite. Left untreated, Varroa mites will transmit viruses that weaken a honeybee colony. Millions of colonies across Europe have died in recent years from this parasitic mite.
I might just try it!

amen.

New tool which has been used 10 years in whole world.

Formic acid does not work under brood cappings, even if companies say so.
If it works, it is easy then kill all mites. Canada has used formic acid long time but it has bad
difficulties with varroa.

Last edited:
amen.

New tool which has been used 10 years in whole world.

Its the delivery system that is new, the latest in a progression of more user friendly ways to administer formic acid developed by this firm.
If they fancy sending me a free trial, I'd give them a go.

never too late when I look the Christmas decoration in the upper part of forum page.

You know how to use computers don't you? Shirley! They have been around for quite a while here in the UK.

(Hint: Refresh your cache)

Don't Buy Yet.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/an-e...-quick-strips/

After reading from the above link. I will not be purchasing, at least not until others on the forum report back on their findings. It looks like the young larva/brood is culled completely. Setting back progress in the Spring, just what we don't need.
In any case WHY do we need yet another treatment for our Bees.
Most of us established Beeks want to cut down of what we spend on our bees not increase!
Bob.

Latest posts

Back