pollen substitute patties recipe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am looking for an substitute pollen patties recipe. I never tried it before and want to test it out on one of my apairys,that is in a main ceral crop area, where early forage is scarce, and the farmer has put in early oil seed rape and i wanted to try and give the bees a boost into brood rearing so that thery would be ready for it, and also on a few of my nucs, to see what difference it makes. I have searched the forum, but cant seem to come up with one.

Last edited:
Thanks Finn man.
The problem with your recipe is the irradiated pollen, which is hard to get. Can it be substituted with anything else

I have the same problem. I cannot get any more irradiated pollen. First thing in April is that I offer different recipes to bees without pollen.

In May I am able to gather pollen from hives and for may I can flavour patty with pollen .

There are many patty recipes without pollen and I am not going to be any worse in that job.

I am looking for an substitute pollen patties recipe. I never tried it before and want to test it out on one of my apairys,that is in a main ceral crop area, where early forage is scarce, and the farmer has put in early oil seed rape and i wanted to try and give the bees a boost into brood rearing so that thery would be ready for it, and also on a few of my nucs, to see what difference it makes. I have searched the forum, but cant seem to come up with one.

There's a usable recipe in the January edition of the BBKA news. It reads:
mix three parts by weight soybean flower, one part dried brewers yeast, one part dry skimmed milk (with added vitamins)
prepare a solution of two parts by volume of sugar to one part hot water and allow to cool. Mix one litre of this solution with 400gms of the mixed powder, form into a cake and store in greaseproof paper.

Try this:-

"It’s very difficult to find a pollen substitute recipe that has ingredients that can easily be obtained as some have a list of hard-to-find ingredients. This one is easy to make from ingredients that can be purchased in the high street.

Pollen Substitute recipe:-

4oz Brewers Years

4 oz Soya Flour

4 oz Honey (your own)

2 oz Sugar.

Procedure: Mix up the ingredients with warmed honey and then add enough water to form a dough. Put into plastic bags and squidge or roll until flat or the shape you want. It will keep in the fridge for a few weeks. Don’t ever use shop-bought honey as it may contain disease"

In the past I have used Neopoll to help spring build up. It contains pollen.
MB stock it.

In the past I have used Neopoll to help spring build up. It contains pollen.
MB stock it.

It has no practical value in brood rearing.
It contains perhaps 2%.

But these are believing issues. Like I have said, 90% believes that sugar feeding adds spring build up but very few accept that protein feeding helps any.

Many say that "this is easy recipe". I know those "easy recipes". They have not much value. It does not help that easy patty hang on frames and bees do not eate it much.

These things has been reasearched 35 years. 1977 USA made its first comparisions in two indepencent laboratory what stuffs are good and what recipes work.

I was looking for brewers yeast on the net under horse supplement suppliers and came across this suppliment suppliers http://www.bimeda.ie/docs/exdocs2/1CON007_Data_Sheet.pdf . Do you thing this could be added to the mix !!!! Its probably in our beef burgers anyway

I have bought from this company. The online shop is for 25kg bags of it but if you contact them by phone they will happily sell you it in 5kg tubs.

http://www.charnwoodmilling.co.uk/mail-order/Horse_Food.html (at the bottom of the page)

AUSTRALIA http://www.honeybee.com.au/Library/Beefeeds.html

Bee feed recipe 2 (No pollen)

Use when bees are on a heavy honey flow with good volumes of low grade ground flora pollen (ie. Yellow box, with scotch thistle or flat weed. Grey Ironbark and flatweed or fire weed and sunflower crops).

3.3 kgs Soy flour

1 kg Torula yeast or brewers yeast

½ kg Pollard

100 g Vegetable oil (eg. Cotton seed)

50 g Vitamin mix

3.5 kgs Irradiated honey or malt

Prepare as bee feed 1.

Feed 4-5 weeks before and during the honey flow. Feed as a biscuit or patty in the hive.

Bee feed recipe 3 (no pollen)

Use for heavy honey flows which have large volumes of low grade eucalypt pollen. (eg. White box, Pilliga box, white mahogany/grey ironbark honey flows).

4.2 kg Expeller press Soy flour

500 g Pollard

200 g Vegetable oil (cotton seed)

50 g Vitamin mix

3.5 kgs Irradiated honey or malt

Prepare as recipe 1 and feed inside the hive as a biscuit or patty. Feed 4-5 weeks before, during and (if the pollen has stopped) after the flow.

During heavy honey flows or when continuos breeding is required, the protein supplementary feed should be available to the bees all the time. Feed regularly a minimum of 300 grams of protein supplement every two weeks.

Australia has nectar fields where bees are not able to rear brood. That is why they are inpired on patty.

Alfa alfa has lack of some amino acids and bees cannot rear brood with its pollen.
Kiwi fruit pollen has no cell slime and its protein value is zero. Perhaps there are some other plants.

Application of Yeast Culture (Candida tropicalis) as Pollen Substitute in Feeding Honey Bee
Colonies (Apis mellifera L.) In Egypt

T.E. Abd El-Wahab and A.M. Gomaa
Pests and Plant Protection and Agricultural Microbiology Departments,
National Research Centre, Cairo, Egypt.

Abstract: Artificial diets of a pure liquid culture of yeast in different concentrations as pollen grains substitute were used to feed honey bee colonies and compared with traditional artificial diets, Pollen grains, single dose of Brewer’s yeast, double dose of Brewer’s yeast and pollen substitute of soybean.

During the experimental period some biological activities, areas of sealed worker and drone broods, mean number of combs covered with bees, mean number of queen cups, mean number of package bees and honey yield of the tested colonies were determined. The obtained results showed that application of 25% and 50% of yeast culture resulted the highest significant amount of worker brood in comparison with other treatments during the period of October, 2003 to June, 2004. The highest significant amount of sealed drone brood was recorded in March and April, 2004 due to the application of 25% of yeast culture. Colonies fed with 25% of the yeast culture recorded significantly mean number of combs covered with bees higher than the control and the recommended traditional honey bee
artificial diets. Producing the queen cups increased with fed colonies by 50% of yeast culture overmatched either the control or the other tested treatments followed by 25% of yeast culture especially in April, May and
June. Application of yeast culture in 25% or 50% induced the highest productivity of honey yield and numbers of package bees.

Google: Application of yeast culture (Candida tropicalis) as pollen ... - aensi

aensiweb.com/jasr/jasr/386-390.pdf -

Application of Yeast Culture (Candida tropicalis) as Pollen Substitute in Feeding Honey Bee
Colonies (Apis mellifera L.) In Egypt

These alternatives has bee tested in a research and measured influence on brood amount.

- 500 g sugar + 125 ml yeast culture + 375 ml water (25%).

- 500 g sugar + 250 ml yeast culture + 250 ml water (50%).

- 500 g sugar + 375 ml yeast culture + 125 ml water (75%).

- 500 g sugar + 500 ml yeast culture + 500 ml water (100%). -

- 500 gm. of sugar + 500 ml Water + 0.0 yeast (control).

- 100 g sugar + 100 g pollen grains + 100 ml water

- 100 g sugar + 100 g Brewer’s yeast + 200 ml water

- 100 g sugar + 200 g Brewer’s yeast + 300 ml water

- 50 g sugar + 50 g Brewer’s yeast + 100g soybean

OK. This is probably a stupid question.
Why does pollen have to be sterilised...irradiated?
What's wrong with non sterile pollen?

Especially if it has been imported from a country that has that issue. If its pollen you have collected then its not a problem as you know the provenance. (case in point horsemeat in lasagna or burgers, if you buy your mince from a butcher and make it yourself much less chance of horsemeat unless you ask for some)

When I lived in the Smoke there were licensed horse meat sellers... Belgium family we was friend with used to buy the stuff... preferred jellied eels meself...

But where can one purchase pollen wot is OK for the bees from??

When I lived in the Smoke there were licensed horse meat sellers... Belgium family we was friend with used to buy the stuff... preferred jellied eels meself...

But where can one purchase pollen wot is OK for the bees from??

When you find out let us all know. not worthy

Latest posts

Back