Yew Tree Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
How keen are the bees on yew pollen and what's its nutritional value - without being technical. My willow is not budding, but my yew is so it could be the first 'major' pollen source. Noticed that a small amount of off white pollen was going into all my hive just now. What could that be?

Very little Yew around here but ITLD mentioned it in a previous thread.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16725&page=2

Was wondering if the honey would be poisonous if consumed but the only reference I came across described the honey of yew to be bitter and not fit to eat.

Also included a method for testing honey prior to consumption......

"Honey collected by the bees from mountain laurel is often poisonous. Even today the beekeepers in North and South Carolina first try the effect of laurel honey on the family dog. If the dog, after indulging in suspicious honey, shows symptoms of staggering and has a glazed look, the honey is condemned."

Come on Rover ....... come here boy ...... :eek:

I have seen bees working yet quite allot, the pollen is like a dark caramel colour. The bees worked it extensively early in the year probably about march time though.

Latest posts

Back