Bee Cosy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting an ad. in Facebook appearing for something called a Bee Cosy. :icon_204-2:

A knitted real natural alpacca wool Jersey for your natural beeminders lampshade hive... must be cold hanging from a rope in a wicker ( or is it wicken?) basket / skep:icon_204-2:

Questions on the Bee Cosy

Glad you've come across the Bee Cosy.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have on how it can help with the wintering of bee colonies.

Glad you've come across the Bee Cosy.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have on how it can help with the wintering of bee colonies.

Welcome to the forum :)
Go on, then.
Convince us...

There are a lot of North American suppliers of something similar (I'm too mature to have a Facebook presence so can't compare the English version). I was talking last night with a friend from Toronto and comparing winters. They get it bad, a lot colder for a lot longer than we do in most of the UK. I suppose that if your hive is sited in a high and exposed position it may be beneficial, but I wouldn't have thought that Ilkley Moor was cold enough to warrant anything more than a hat.

But with all the forum chat about hive insulation and the advantages of poly hives for overwintering, if a cosy isn't too pricey it may be worth a try. If anyone does get one, I look forward to a report on the spring.

Chris, ignore the teasing. You'll get that following even the most serious question here. If you think you've got a good idea, go for it. But how about telling us a little about your beekeeping experience, so we can judge whether you know what you're talking about.

Chris has it been tested on AFB infected hives? In other words does it stand up to strong sterilizing chemicals, if it was to become cross contaminated?

If Finman doesn't use them then I'm not interested

A similar insulation has been used in Canada for 23 years called a bee cozy works out at £7.50. Not sure of the price of the bee cosy.

Between £64.95 and £79.95.

As I posted on the facebook page total crap.

Latest posts

Back