Module 3

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did, and yes, I think it was worthwhile:.)

agree, yes they are worthwhile, they go through the last paper and explain the correct answers

if you want to see the format, then google BBKA marking scheme

they have the correct answers ( well their veiw of the correct Answers) to a module 2 exam....it similar to that but with questions and feedback

normaly run by Margeret Thomas the main exam modulator

Last edited:
All good. Thx. More questions ? :)

been studying small hive beetle tonight. There is one bit on the FERA leaflet about management techniques that I don't understand. it says you should always use a super between BB and supers as a way of helping control SHB, as otherwise beetle eggs in the brood in the super could be brought in and infest the honey processing plant.

Is the recommended use of a QX because the beetle cannot pass through the excluder ( unlikely, it's a third of the size of a bee) or because although SHB can breed outside honey bee brood, it mostly will breed in honey bee brood, and once it is in your honey house, you'll never get rid of it????

There is one bit on the FERA leaflet about management techniques that I don't understand. it says you should always use a super between BB and supers as a way of helping control SHB, as otherwise beetle eggs in the brood in the super could be brought in and infest the honey processing plant.

Do you mean queen excluder instead of 'super', as in this bit?

NBU leaflet said:
Beekeepers should always use queen excluders in
hives, to prevent queens from laying in supers.
Otherwise, if brood is brought into the extraction
room with the honey crop, any Small hive beetle
larvae hatched from eggs laid in supers will rapidly
cause spoilage of the honey and destruction of
comb

Here's another question :

Some books say Nosema apis is a protozoa. Davis says it is a microsporidian.
Which is it?

Here's another question :

Some books say Nosema apis is a protozoa. Davis says it is a microsporidian.
Which is it?

recently re classified as a Microsporiadian,

make sure you are using the latest names and capital in correct position such Paenibacillus larvae larvae instead of Paenibacillus larvae (AFB) and Paenibacillus alvei instead of Bacillus alvei

Melissococus plutonius instead of Melissococcus pluton (EFB)

Lactobacillus eurydice instead of Bacillus eurydice

Last edited:

MM meant Melissococcus plutonius (unlike the new microscopy book from a respected person with two typos in that word alone).

MM meant Melissococcus plutonius (unlike the new microscopy book from a respected person with two typos in that word alone).

thanks....latin is not my strong point, and my spelling is even worse :hairpull:

I am finding getting the spelling correct the worse part of the learning

susbees

was it you at Weybridge talking about Acarapis woodii to me, at 65 the short term memory is going

just trying to tie down woodi(i) and whether this extra (i) is still used ?is it for the plural form...not a latin scolar :sos:

Last edited:
Module 3 Crib Sheet

I've been working on a crib sheet - stuff has been shamelessly plagiarised form beebase and other sources.

Can anyone help fill in the blanks?

I forgot to ask. Does anyone know how long the standstill period is when AFB and EFB is confirmed?

is Asian Hornet noteifiable?

I've been working on a crib sheet - stuff has been shamelessly plagiarised form beebase and other sources.

Can anyone help fill in the blanks?

i have several tubs of fumdil b in the freezer with expiry dates in 2013 so the 2012 date is incorrect....just has to be indate

you dont mention Nosema ceranea new kid on the block

recomended NBU treatment for nosema is a bailey change and not the various "tonic" like nozvit, Thymolmix and viatfeed gold...as this is an exam not real life....most I would add in the exam if you wanted to mention it even is, There is widespread use of additives as tonics such as 3x manley mix, nozevitetc etc but these are not approved as an authorised mendicant by the VMD

if the colony is very week with nosema then the bailey change would need to be modified to use some disinfected comb which differs from the NBU/Beebase recomended method becasue the examiner views is that only strong colonies should be put on foundation

EFB can form a rope but it is white and lumps and not like brown snott of AFB

chalk brood, the reproductive stage requires two fungi to unite, one being a+ and one being a - type, and produces the black chalk brood spores ,wheras the non reporoductive chalk brood is white

Last edited:
Yes should read QE not super Dan. Why does it say that?

I think it's to minimise chances of bringing brood (containing SHB) into an extracting room. Of course it's not the old 'honey in frames that have (ever) contained brood' argument, rather just a recommendation of 'no brood currently' :)

Sounds like they suspect an extracting room will be a good environment (temperature, humidity, debris) in which for SHB to multiply, leading to rapid cross-contamination of apiaries as supers are returned to them - particularly if supers don't go back to the apiary they came from.

Actually it's just Paenibacillus larvae now - not larvae larvae. Re-classified about six years ago.

Change is the only constant ;)

Are you sure, i thought the CSL had yet to undertake the re classiifacation and it was still under discussion and an ongoing project or is this project

October 2011 - New PhD Studentship, Fera National Bee Unit and the University of York: The epidemiology of Paenibacillus larvae, causative organism of American foul brood
We are very pleased that Barbara Morrissey has been awarded a BBSRC CASE studentship with industrial funding from Bee Disease Insurance Ltd (BDI) in order to study the Epidemiology of American Foulbrood (AFB). She will be jointly supervised by Dr. Giles Budge in Fera's National Bee Unit and Dr. Thorunn Helgason at the Department of Biology at the University of York. Barbara has already worked on molecular tools to identify strains of Paenibacillus larvae as part of her MRes at the University of York. This grounding will serve her well as she progresses into her PhD. Once strain types have been identified she will be able to link and track disease outbreaks leading to a better understanding of the spread and impact of this damaging bacterium.

different from the 2009 project

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadNews.cfm?id=19

earlier 2006 work http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16514018 on Paenibacillus larvae pulvifaciens was recomended but i thought was not accepted

anyone got the abstract or publish details of the reclassifiacation?

Last edited:
Well if a mark is lost for calling it P.bacilllus larvae instead of larvae larvae then it's sad.

Well if a mark is lost for calling it P.bacilllus larvae instead of larvae larvae then it's sad.

I doubt that it would be a lost mark, and irrelevent unless you are after a distinction

so all of you wanting to take modules, this bit is rather deep into the merky depths...this is a total academic side issue...don''t be put off

but i am still interested to find out if the CSL/NBU 2009 research has reclassified PLL and PLP to PL

the University of York web site who are undertaking the study implies the work is still on going

http://www.york.ac.uk/biology/research/ecology-evolution/thorunn-helgason/#research

Last edited:
In the exam paper March 2011 the exam board call it Paenibacillus larvae larvae, but NBU now refer to it as plain Paenibacillus larvae..... hmmm.

Back