Sterilising?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would of thought in these days of 'elf and safety and food regulations, that would of been self explanatory?......

When my wife makes jam she puts them into a hot oven for a while to sterilize.

Sean

What is the best way to sterilise equipment and a large volume of jars + lids? Is the stuff used for babies bottles ok (Milton).

Wouldn't do that, as Milton can leave a taint. Like anything you are preserving, you need to be sure the receptacles are clean and any cultures are killed off.

You can run jars through the dishwasher, but be sure they are completely dry before use (and use NEW lids if you're selling the honey). Alternatively, you can put your (clean) jars in the oven for 20 minutes at 150ºC and this will sterilise them for you.

Question - is this for honey jars? I've never heard of sterilizing honey jars (washing, yes, but not actually sterilizing) If so, how do you sterilize the plastic containers?

New jars.....either glass or plastic, straight from the manufacturer will be sterile from the box, providing your storage conditions are up to scratch.

I remember answering this question once before saying similar and VM came on and said he sterilized his because of a contamination risk from vermin in his storage shed (or something like that, sorry VM if that's not quite right).

So new jars, straight from an unopened clean, undamaged box will be fine to go as they are. New lids wrapped in a plastic bag (as they are) are the same. Partially used boxes, I invert the jars so there is no risk of the inside getting dusty before they are used and then they are stored in the house.....you could put lids on them if storage for a part used box was iffy.

Second hand jars and lids should not be used if you are selling to the general public.....I think that is recommended by Trading Standards.

If there is any need to wipe the inside of a jar before use then always use a freshly laundered tea towel......not one kicking around the kitchen.

Frisbee

Mine, of ******* * ***** manufacture, have lids already fitted as part of the manufacturing/packaging process.

I would presume these are as sterile as one can likely get. So easy to fill, too, with little risk of touching the inside of the lid, and no bag of lids to rattle around somewhere until used.

RAB

Heavens....I washed mine then dried them in a lowish oven last year:rolleyes:
Thanks for saving me some time guys.

I always put mine through the dishwasher no matter where/what they have been stored in. If you look in each jar you will find some dust of some sort, unless they are sealed with a lid.

I suppose you could e-mail the packing company and ask them if the jars are sterile, but I know what they would say.

just wash everything with anti bacterial dish washing liquid and give a rinse with clean water and leave to drip dry, don't like drying them with tea towels as the fluff can get into the jars

New jars.....either glass or plastic, straight from the manufacturer will be sterile from the box, providing your storage conditions are up to scratch.

I remember answering this question once before saying similar and VM came on and said he sterilized his because of a contamination risk from vermin in his storage shed (or something like that, sorry VM if that's not quite right).

So new jars, straight from an unopened clean, undamaged box will be fine to go as they are. New lids wrapped in a plastic bag (as they are) are the same. Partially used boxes, I invert the jars so there is no risk of the inside getting dusty before they are used and then they are stored in the house.....you could put lids on them if storage for a part used box was iffy.

Second hand jars and lids should not be used if you are selling to the general public.....I think that is recommended by Trading Standards.

If there is any need to wipe the inside of a jar before use then always use a freshly laundered tea towel......not one kicking around the kitchen.

Frisbee

Had a delivery today from Compak on their boxes it says the jars are factory clean but not sterile.

Any sterile ones would need to be supplied in individual sealed autoclave bags i would imagine.

a probably more relevent concern is how to stop yourself licking the various implements used during the extraction process.

a probably more relevent concern is how to stop yourself licking the various implements used during the extraction process.

lol, the number of times I had to wash and rewash during my extraction the other week :D

Latest posts

Back