A nasty rash...bit freaked out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeyonce

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Was just finishing with hive number two today when I got stung on the chin through my veil...thought 'ouch' but didn't think any more about it until about fifteen minutes later I felt as if my whole body was on fire, itchy, eyelids swelling, ears thrumming. Dashed home and got some prescribed steroids down and then stripped off to show husband impressive head to toe bright red rash. Then became a total wimp and asked him to not leave my side incase I passed out, lol!

I usually swell up a fair bit if I get stung on the head (much to my children's amusement) hence the steroids but I've never had a reaction like this before. Is this the start of a serious problem?

Could be. if I was you, I'd make an appointment to see my doctor.

Don't take a chance

I would think about seeking medical advice asap if the rash gets worse or if any other symptoms arise. Poss casualty? Not worth taking a risk.

I swell fairly badly but only in the region of the sting and was told if symptoms showed anywhere away from the sting site to get medical advice sooner rather than later.

Hope it's nothing and the kids get a good laugh out of it!

Martin

Let's face it....no one is going to say do nothing!!! Hope you feel better soon, does it make you look as though you have a sun tan? Only one in the country!!
E

More like I overdid it on a sunbed!

Have phoned NHS Direct and they're going to call me back. The itching is driving me mad so I'm hoping I can pick up some sort of cream from somewhere....fairly sure I'm not going to pass out now anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Yep, time to do something: a head to toe rash and racing pulse indicates an allergy to bee stings, rather than the usual localised itchy patch. If it was me, I'd start asking about sting allergy desensitization at that stage, especially as it can take a while to arrange.

Even getting stung without an allergy can be fairly extreme if it's on the face, so if you do have an allergy I'd take extra care to protect yourself there. I also wouldn't open the hives without another person present until you've investigated the allergy a bit further. You don't want to risk breathing problems, or getting dizzy and dropping hive parts, or falling over etc. You need to be operating at full steam for dealing with bees.

I got a lot of stings last spring after a brood box slipped when I was moving it: about 40 or 50, so enough to get some venom toxin symptoms. I didn't feel too bad, just a bit flu-y for a day (I don't, so far, have much reaction to stings). However, the itching lasted nearly a week and drove me round the bend. I tried everything and found that only ice really made much difference. I recommend that old standby, a big pack of frozen peas. Bad luck: I hope you can get it sorted out soon...

Certainly some kind of whole body effect so an allergic reaction would be my worry. Take extreme care and good luck.

A bath full of ice maybe, or just stand outside for a few minutes!!!

More like I overdid it on a sunbed!

Have phoned NHS Direct and they're going to call me back. The itching is driving me mad so I'm hoping I can pick up some sort of cream from somewhere....fairly sure I'm not going to pass out now anyway. Thanks for the advice.
A stiff vodka works for some peeps :)
VM

Hi, from a qualified nurse - this is not a good reaction and had you not take steroids when you did could have been a whole lot worse. Your WHOLE body reacted to a sting on the chin - that tells you your whole immune system reacted violently to one sting - you MUST seek medical help and shouldn't take this lightly.

You should be careful what you mix with steroids and/or anti-histamines ...

Unless your condition worsens overnight, (in which case summon help), I think an appointment with your GP should be arranged, to ask for a "RAST test" to get a quantified (numeric) measure of your sensitivity. Depending on the score (and maybe your GP) you could find that the next discussion is over Epipens and/or desensitisation therapy.

Don't mix Nurofen/Ipuprofen with beestings - it can increase the reaction dramatically.

Meanwhile, its time to take even greater care to avoid stings. "Moving slowly, as though underwater" was advice I found helpful ...

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I'm going to telephone the doctor tomorrow and see if I can get on the allergy programme. I was offered it a couple of years ago but declined as the reaction wasn't this severe then. Am hoping NHS cuts haven't put paid to that!

Now to ask for some advice on the colony I'm having trouble with.....

I suffered strong local reactions for years and years , this I no longer do, down to my heart medication IMHO .
The hives no pun intended , occured twice . The first time at a teaching apiary where I was pounced on (before I could don my beesuit) by a rather nasty colony and received multi stings !! A medical doctor there warned me to be very careful!!!!
Second time was at an old friends apiary , one sting through my trouser pocket and into my hand . My friend a Ukrainian said " No worries, have this" and gave me a glass(tumbler) of vodka, they are like that where he came from :).As I downed the vodka I watched the nettle rash disappear as though by magic :)
I don't intend making light of the matter but I have since read that alcohol neutralises the effects of bee venom !
VM

Gosh, thought the vodka therapy was a joke! Weird thing is I've been getting stung on the hands at least once a week since April with no real effect other than itchiness for a few days.

I think reactions vary according to the age of the bees doing the stinging but more so by your state of health/mind at the time !
I've been keeping bees in excess of 20 years and must have suffered thousands of stings , yet I still react with slight swelling at the start of each beekeeping year :)
VM

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I'm going to telephone the doctor tomorrow and see if I can get on the allergy programme. I was offered it a couple of years ago but declined as the reaction wasn't this severe then. Am hoping NHS cuts haven't put paid to that!

Now to ask for some advice on the colony I'm having trouble with.....

Oh dear.....this says it all, and underlines in red lines what thepliades said. You MUST have a history of lower level allergic reactions already, because they do not just offer desensitisation willy nilly. Its an expensive programme and it has risks attached, hence it is done in hospital under constant medical supervision until the immediate risk of reaction to each injection has passed. Typically you are in for an hour or so each visit, more if you show any signs of reacting or other distress.

You must have had a RAST test at that time? If so you must have some idea of your score? It may be worse now. At least up here, decisions to offer the treatment are preceded by a RAST test and only offered if the score is above a certain level.

Beeyonce,
Sorry to hear of your reaction to bee stings. Time to wear baseball cap to keep hat in position so that the veil does not get too close to your face to get stung through and double layer of Marrigolds top pair one size bigger and then you will be bullet proof. Also denim jacket and jeans. It will make you sweat but worth every drop.

I've only had swelling before (albeit fairly dramatic), not a rash and was prescribed the epi-pen at that time as a precaution. I wasn't offered a RASH test and agreed on a wait-and-see policy as the desensitiation programme such a heavy commitment. I'm just hoping the offer won't have been closed off now.

I think reactions vary according to the age of the bees doing the stinging ...

My understanding has been that young (nurse/house) bees don't/can't sting, and that the sting gets more potent as the bee gets older. So the reaction would indeed be stronger ...

As I downed the vodka I watched the nettle rash disappear as though by magic :).................... I have since read that alcohol neutralises the effects of bee venom !
VM

Would red wine work as well as vodka?

Latest posts

Back