Update on moving my angry bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmcc

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Four weeks ago we decided to move our two hives from our garden to a friend's field because we - and our neighbours - were getting stung, after three peaceful years when no-one but me got stung (twice, through my clumsiness). Like a lot of people on here we suspected the strange weather pattern of April and May was causing this, but - whatever - they had to go.

My friend's field is only a mile away as the bee flies, so I expected problems with returners. But I placed the hives in long grass with a fence 6 feet in front of them to force the bees to reorientate straightaway. On the day I moved them three of my neighbours got stung by returners, and I had a little cluster of about 200 bees were sitting on the old site of the hives in our garden that evening. I didn't know enough (three prior years' experience) to put a nuc box down for these, and I reluctantly killed them before anyone else got stung (detergent water in a spray - pretty instant).

Since then all has been well. What were two very aggressive stingy and following (up to 100 yards) colonies have settled back into peaceful ways. I inspected both yesterday in the early afternoon. I only got pinged a few times, no stings, no dead bees, no following. Amazing!

So I just wanted to confirm that you can move a colony less than three miles if you make it difficult for them to get in and out of the hive once you open it - dense foliage that they have to fight their way through seems to do the trick, and it should be right in front of the hives, leaning on them. I've done this twice now, and it does work.

Well done on the move.

I would however, not put up with aggressive colonies. Why not re-queen, to make handling easier.

A decent queen from proven stock, will more than pay for it self with the extra honey crop they will produce.

it would have been just as easy to move them 3 miles imo and no returners then

Yes but not if your new site was 1 mile away and you don't have anywhere further away to move them.

Cazza

Good relations with your neighbours again good and well done on the move and the learning. :)

If you have somewhere to move them three miles away, then yes, that wold be preferable. Some of us do not.

I moved a hive less than a kilometre as the bee flies a fortnight ago. As soon as I opened it up, they were reorientating due to a tile and vegetation in front of the entrance.

A few came back, had a quick look, then buggered off back in the direction of the moved hive. No discernible effect on colony.

A good move. However if they are pinging I would suggest requeening at some point.

To all those suggesting re-queening I disagree (at least until after a period of time)

Since then all has been well. What were two very aggressive stingy and following (up to 100 yards) colonies have settled back into peaceful ways. I inspected both yesterday in the early afternoon. I only got pinged a few times, no stings, no dead bees, no following. Amazing!...

I would say give them some time first to settle and decide only after a further period whether they have improved or not. I often find with some of my colonies that there can be a big difference in temperament due to many factors, weather, time of inspection, amount of forage available, etc.

I note, on a scale of 1 to 10, the temperament of each colony at each inspection and only after a decent long period of time will I decide if a colony needs re-queening of not.

Just yesterday I inspected a colony after work in warm (approx 20degs C) sunny weather, and they were so quiet and calm compared to the last 2-3 inspections. Could also be that I believe there is the start of a flow in my area.

I just think some people are a bit too fast to re-queen or suggest that as advice.

I would just point out that I keep all but 2 hives in out apiaries, so the only person getting followed or pinged etc is me during inspections. Of course it can be a lot different if you keep them in your back garden, but that is the whole reason I moved mine!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back