Got some bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
0-1-0-1-2
On swarm list for local assoc so been waiting for call this week. Got a call at 2 yesterday, swarm reported and do i want it - yes please! So then had to wait for a call back at 6 to confirm it was still there.

But, text at 530 - swarm just seed heading south :( bugger!!
So settled in for evening to then get a call at 845, another swarm was collected by other member - do i want it, yes please :party:
Drive over, nuc in boot, back home. Got back about 945, so quite dark but transferred to hive - hope they stay now. Not a huge swarm but hopefully viable, so unsure if prime or cast.

They're out and orienting this morning and will feed some syrup later tonight to keep them happy, going to go for 1:1.

some pics from last night

View attachment 6546

View attachment 6547

View attachment 6548

and one of the ladies on my wall this morning

View attachment 6549

Don't give then syrup for a few days - let them draw comb with the honey they're carrying so if there's any nastiness/disease in the honey it will get locked up in the wax and not be kept in the stores to wreak havok later :)

Don't give then syrup for a few days - let them draw comb with the honey they're carrying so if there's any nastiness/disease in the honey it will get locked up in the wax and not be kept in the stores to wreak havok later :)

ah yes, i remember being told that now, cheers not worthy

Is that a piece of chocolate on top of the frames there :drool5: :biggrinjester:

Is that a piece of chocolate on top of the frames there :drool5: :biggrinjester:

lol, it does look like it doesn't it :biggrinjester: think that would work?

old piece of tile over feeder hole, but i'm sure you knew that anyway:cool:

Even now that it appears warmer, it is still advised to limit the available comb for a nuc sized colony - and you have said (as inferred) that it is smaller than a nuc (you said 'hopefully viable) A nuc should definitely be viable!

I fear that very many of the new beeks just don't read, or absorb, the information given.

A small colony will fare far better with a smaller, warm compartment, than with a cavernous room to heat. I would suggest inserting a dummy/divider and isolating some of those frames from the bees.

If a cast, as this is more likely if the swarm is that small, they may not need feeding as they may be bringing in adequate stores, as there may be no brood for a couple of weeks or four. Filling the brood area with sugar syrup will not expand the colony.

RAB

Has anyone done any measurements re: insulating properties of a dummy board vs a frame of foundation?

Also, given that air is one of the best insulators, having several layers of trapped air, between wax, I would have thought is a pretty good insulator?

Have to say that my preferred route is dummy board then a reasonably tight wodge of Kingspan in all but summer conditions.

However it depends whether you believe that swarms are only happy in a 40 litre box.

Hmm.

Even now that it appears warmer, it is still advised to limit the available comb for a nuc sized colony

I was wondering about a smaller number of frames. I don't want to disturb too much in first few days though.

Last edited:
Has anyone done any measurements re: insulating properties of a dummy board vs a frame of foundation?

I wouldn't bother. That is why I use a divider, not a dummy. Air can circulate around the whole crownboard area with a dummy. Can't with a decent divider. Simple enough?

I wouldn't bother. That is why I use a divider, not a dummy. Air can circulate around the whole crownboard area with a dummy. Can't with a decent divider. Simple enough?

So a divider is top to bottom, side to side and prevents bees moving to blocked off areas whereas a dummy board is just frame size and doesn't prevent movement of bees or air into rest of brood box - correct?

Last edited:
But if you don't have a divider. Most people I expect would 'only' have a dummy board, and some people neither.

The only reason to use a dummy over a frame of foundation that I can see is to prevent them drawing/spreading out, but in my limited experience they will only draw the outer frames when they need to.

So, unless a dummy is a better insulator, I cannot see why a frame of foundation wouldnt be either an equally good choice, if not better choice (because the bees can and will use it as and when they need to? And frameS of foundation even better unless one intended to backfill with kingspan or the like.

Anyone else have any good reason why a 5 frame nuc shouldnt be housed in a hive with surrounding frames of foundation (as opposed to 2 x dummy boards), with top insulation for both, and monitor tray in the bottom if it gets chilly?

And wrt insulation, empty comb would be even better as more air trapped.

whereas a divider is just frame size and doesn't prevent movement of bees or air into rest of brood box

Yes, if that second 'divder' is a dummy! But only if done properly. The added advantage is the space could be filled with insulation, if needed, without access to it by the bees.

So a divider is top to bottom, side to side and prevents bees moving to blocked off areas whereas a dummy board is just frame size and doesn't prevent movement of bees or air into rest of brood box - correct?

Corrected your post :)

That seems to be the case. I personally have never seen a divider, and I am waiting to see why people should be compelled to buy dummy boards this time of year!

Anyone else have any good reason why a 5 frame nuc shouldnt be housed in a hive with surrounding frames of foundation (as opposed to 2 x dummy boards),

Not if they have any common sense.

whereas a divider is just frame size and doesn't prevent movement of bees or air into rest of brood box

Yes, if that second 'divder' is a dummy! But only if done properly. The added advantage is the space could be filled with insulation, if needed, without access to it by the bees.

So, all those who have routinely used dummy boards, and backfilled with insulation - any issues with bees having access to that insulation?

And is there anyone who would suggest backfilling with insulation when housing a nuc this time of year?

I personally wouldnt want bees accessing areas I didnt want them to for an extended period, but only because of the potential mess with propolis. Again, not an issue if you have a hive full of frames of foundation.

Anyone else have any good reason why a 5 frame nuc shouldnt be housed in a hive with surrounding frames of foundation (as opposed to 2 x dummy boards),

Not if they have any common sense.

So, now we are saying that it is perfectly acceptable to move your full 5 frame nuc into a hive and fill the rest with frames of foundation this time of year? There is actually no good reason to use dummy boards this time of year?

So, now we are saying

Are you really real or just a ...... st*rrer Little wonder you don't understand many replies. Go away and think for yourself.

Beekeeping is simple , if you can think about it.

Last edited:
So, now we are saying

Are you really real or just a ...... st*rrer Little wonder you don't understand many replies. Go away and think for yourself.

I hope the mods come down on you like a ton of bricks.

You love to say "think about it".

I did think about it, and having thought about it I see no good reason to use a dummy board as opposed to a frame of foundation.

Do you? Of have you been hoisted by your own patronising petard?

And I think I understand perfectly well, perhaps you do not understand double negatives?

Whichever way you look at it, you are wrong. Given that I fully expect you to crawl back under your rock.

Back