Dead bees under hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi guys
When I had a look at my hives this morning I found this clump of dead bees as in the photo. They weren’t there yesterday afternoon.
I had a very quick look under the crown board and there is plenty of activity.
It’s been too cold to inspect them properly and I am reluctant to open them up.
I first thought it was a very small swarm – so checked the dead bees and couldn’t find the queen.
My last inspection was 2 weeks ago and they were on 6 frames of brood with plenty of stores – the colony is on a brood and a half.
Any ideas?
Les

Were they spraying any pesticides in your area in recent days?

Thats a good point I hadn't thought of that.
The hives aren't near any places that I would of thought needing spraying with insecticides - plus it's been that cold and wet there isn't may insect about just yet.

I found exactly the same thing with one of my hives yesterday about 150 dead and dying bees. Rest of hive looking good full of bees and brood really strange I have no idea...

We have had it in this area too. I think what is happening in some cases is that bees are collecting under the hive on the mesh floor. The temp is so cold at night that they are dying. Check under the hive when they have stopped flying, if they are collecting there then put one form of barrier between the front of the hive and the mesh floor to stop them flying underneath. Worth a check....
E

enrico
Just got back and yes there are bees under the hive on the mesh.
I have put the verroa board in and will see what happens.

bees under hive

yes mine have done the same, not many, but I think that they just get confused and try and get in through the mesh floor, as has been already said, put a piece of plywood as a skirt on the front. That usually stops them.
They did the same last year and the year before that. I was very much a rooky then and asked my mentor, he came round we lifted the hive off the floor and put the floor upside down on top of the bb for overnight, and then I reassembled it back in the morning. But there was a lot more bees on that occasion, so no need to worry.
Dave W

i had the same 2 months back - just happened to be home to see it.

bright warmish day for the time of year followed by a clear cold night. next morning clumps of bees under a couple of hives. some probably dead but many just torpid (tried warming a few successfully) so swept them into dustpan and returned them to respective hives.

Thanks for the tip and you are right there were some hanging onto the mesh floor I will sort it out tomorrow.

Jeff

We have had it in this area too. I think what is happening in some cases is that bees are collecting under the hive on the mesh floor. The temp is so cold at night that they are dying. Check under the hive when they have stopped flying, if they are collecting there then put one form of barrier between the front of the hive and the mesh floor to stop them flying underneath. Worth a check....
E

Well I feel a bit better now - first panic of the year over, roll on the next one :)

That may be partly the result of a tiddly little entrance. Not a lot of point having it narrow, unless protecting against wasps or robbing.

[That may be partly the result of a tiddly little entrance./QUOTE]
They didn’t have any problem swarming last year through their ‘tiddly little entrance’ :D

Had the same problem. No landing board, bees flying under hive floor and hanging on to the mesh untill the cold gets them. Sugest add a landing board PDQ.

enrico
Just got back and yes there are bees under the hive on the mesh.
I have put the verroa board in and will see what happens.

The problem I have found with having the varroa board in when bees are flying is that some (quite a lot sometimes) try to get into the hive from the back above the board and can't find their way back out to go round to the front entrance. Consequently they get isolated and die. At this time of year even when only limited flying is possible, best to stuff the gap above the varroa board so that returning bees go right under the hive to the front entrance to join their mates indoors.

We had the same thing, but we thought the bees were getting trapped behind the front rail of the hive stand so couldn't find their way to the entrance. We raised the hive very slightly, on shallow battens at each side, so there's a bee walkway through from underneath to the entrance and the problem has gone away.

so, after reading the last few posts, it seems that omf's do have some 'issues'
( none of this happens with my solid floors )

I am just glad the question was asked, I had this a couple of days ago and thought about it most of the night, yet again this forum helps clarify things.
Thanks

so, after reading the last few posts, it seems that omf's do have some 'issues'
( none of this happens with my solid floors )

They don't need to. Mine don't. Any potential problems just need addressing, after a modicum of thought on the matter. The advantages, IMO, far out-weigh any potential 'issues'.

Back