kingspan Slolar Extractorp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
A house near me is having a loft extensions and outside was a skip full of 25mm thick Kingspan insulation offcuts

So decided to make a solar extractor out of the bits of Kingspan and some exterior glue

still needs a bit of work and i have a piece of double walled sheeting for the glass somewhere, but even with just a thin sheet of perspex it reach 50c in the week late afternoon sun

so fingers cross it should work well once we have some summer sun

total cost...glue 40p

Last edited:
Very neat -I would grab any more offcuts as it is expensive to buy. Retail price for an 8 * 4 sheet of 50mm is £30 or so. Throw them around the attic floor as free insultation until required for beekeeping.

You can also make a good honey warming cabinet out of the stuff. I have two on the go at the moment. I also made a top bar hive out of it but unlike you did not use exterior glue. Silly.

Is the bee silhouette a deterrent to stop bees flying into the clear plastic?

If you have the scrap of double-glazed polycarbonate to make a nice clear and warm lid for it ...
... then would painting the inside bottom panel matt black get it even hotter? :)

Last edited:
Is the bee silhouette a deterrent to stop bees flying into the clear plastic?

it is a stick on Thermometer that i got given as a joke christmas present by my duaghter.. like the yellow and black stripped socks with bees on that look like wasps( from my wife)..you have to use them or you hurt the their feelings....though the socks seem to have vanished :rolleyes:

How will you organise the inside, to collect the melted wax?

I'd like to copy your idea, because I've also got a few bits of kingspan from a friendly building site.

Back