Do you keep VETERINARY MEDICINE ADMINISTRATION RECORD

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keep correct VMD records

• Yes, I do keep VMD records of treatments

Votes: 33 46.5%
  • No, I do not keep VMD records of treatments

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters
I didn't know anything about it, I record treatments on beetight but not the batch number of the treatment etc.

The link didn't work but I googled it.

didnt know i had to i will google it tomoro and see if it applies to south ireland . good thing i am lazy and the wrappers are still in the bin which i havnt emptied yet.

didnt know i had to i will google it tomoro and see if it applies to south ireland . good thing i am lazy and the wrappers are still in the bin which i havnt emptied yet.
:iagree:
Not called a bin in the JBm household - it's the primary element of a very advanced filing system (I'll have a rummage later!)

NPB - vet medicine records for all livestock are the same across EU AFAIK.

MM - interesting that OA is not a "recognised" treatment by FERA and yet has to be noted (along with the thymol based options).

what about those who use crystals for both? No lot numbers on those from most sources.

fera

DrStitson,
'what about those who use crystals for both? No lot numbers on those from most sources'.

No but the Product code, date of sale etc, etc, is all thats needed by the medic/coroner who will finally want to know whats been in contact with his patient/beekeeper, and not just a sting or two.

So something is being missed by the tutors of all these new beekeeping courses, I for sure was told about it in my teaching group here in Medway, Kent.
And yes I have all my details of treatments documented, not reached 5 years yet tho'

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks MM, one poll that could actually be quite interesting. I'm a bit surprised at the vote so far ... and will be making sure that it is covered in our beginners' course this spring.

Yep all noted down since I started. we were told this when we started our course.

Are the records supposed to follow the Hive or the swarm?
Do you need records for treatments that may have been given to your bees before you got them?
What if you move frames, supers, etc between hives or unite colonies?
Will the introduction of SQP's put up the prices?
Most of all, are DEFRA going to be heavy handed about this & discourage people from treating their hives with effective treatments?

I'll start building my Warre....

oxalic acid treatment
Leicester & Rutland beekeepers association has down loadable paper work,
for you to send to the veterinary service to have them issue a prescription, which is legally free but may accrue a processing fee of £10.00 check site it is a charity since 1900,s

We teach this on our course but it's a mention, that's all.

Good idea for a poll MM.

Also, suppose this brings in to focus how you name/number your hives.
One that died out 3 years ago will have to retain it's unique reference for a few years.

Are the records supposed to follow the Hive or the swarm?
Do you need records for treatments that may have been given to your bees before you got them?
What if you move frames, supers, etc between hives or unite colonies?
Will the introduction of SQP's put up the prices?
Most of all, are DEFRA going to be heavy handed about this & discourage people from treating their hives with effective treatments?

I'll start building my Warre....

its your records, you keep them, when i sold bees last year, i gave them a photo copy

it is not a recent requirement by the NBU it has been around since 2001 see 2001/82/EC on the Community code relating to veterinary medicinal products, it is not well policed as over 50% of you according to the poll are not doing it

I suspect that SQP will all be holders of the BBKA advanced certiifcate with a seperate BBKA exam to enable "Suitable Qualified Person" to prescibe veterinary Medicnes ( i know someone who has hives on the RVC so may be able to get more info on that) but SQPs are a long way off

I have never been asked by a SBI just trading standards when they found local problems with thymol in some farmers market honey ( not mine i would add)

Last edited:
I keep the foil lids from Apiguard treatments pinned inside the roofs with the dates written on them nothing more.

I would fiercely defend any attempts by interfering eurocrats to control or influence my hobbies. :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

Is apiguard classed a a veterinary medicine?

Medicines that need to be recorded are classified into groups. if it is then it should be displayed on the container, eg POM-V. more info can be found here

I keep a record on a sheet we use on the farm for keeping the records for medicating our broiler chickens. If any one wants a sheet i'll scan one and email it cross,

I do keep a record of treatments, my method is simply to put the details on the hive record card, which I keep above the crown board.

:nature-smiley-013:
I do keep a record of treatments, my method is simply to put the details on the hive record card, which I keep above the crown board.

hopefully you keep them five years and enough information equilent to that required on the statutory VMD form , that form states it needs to be filled in on purchase but i would assume they give some leeway to first offenders

:nature-smiley-016:
it only a short sentence ( normally)

A person found guilty of an offence under these Regulations is liable

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding the statuary maximum or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or both.

Last edited:
Back