Odd Behaviour?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
At least half a dozen times in the last few weeks while sitting in car waiting at junction or lights, I have seen bees (one in each incident) investigating the rear wheel area of the car in front... rather like a dog sniffing around.... Are they sniffing the exhaust fumes or do they have a rubber fetish? or do they think they have hit the jackpot with a huge flower.

that or propolis ie tar lifted by the tire. ive heard of them using bubblegum and other weird stuff.

Maybee they're sniffing their friends........ BeePee

Unless it's wasps. They will often inspect cars after a journey. Flies that have been atomised almost by a car hitting them at whatever speed provide an easy meal for wasps. If your ever in a carpark on a hot day there are hundreds of them inspecting number plates. The same happens with wheels and the sides of cars as the essence de insect gets atomised down the side of the car also.

At least half a dozen times in the last few weeks while sitting in car waiting at junction or lights, I have seen bees (one in each incident) investigating the rear wheel area of the car in front...
Seen at the same place (or close)? Guess would be some sort of spillage or leak being picked up on the tyres. Loading and unloading fruit generates a fair amount of stickyness that attracts wasps. Less likely to attract bees to fruit but honey or invert sugar might do it. Any food processing around?

Urine and rubber, try some in your garden and watch what happens.

Bees-drinking.jpg
[/IMG]

Chris

"Urine and rubber, try some in your garden and watch what happens."

chris - are you a long lost relative of Bob Flowerdew????

We do share a similar approach to many things, I just don't have his money.

GBH - you would love to be my neighbour, trust me.

Chris

"We do share a similar approach to many things"

both the missus and I like to imagine him, astride a huge pile of tyres like a boiler suit clad colossus, waving his "sprinkler" clutched firmly in one hand whilst his neatly plaited hair sways back and forth in harmony with the ventrally centred motion.

anyone for a piss soaked carpet topped compost heap?

"We do share a similar approach to many things"

both the missus and I like to imagine him, astride a huge pile of tyres like a boiler suit clad colossus, waving his "sprinkler" clutched firmly in one hand whilst his neatly plaited hair sways back and forth in harmony with the ventrally centred motion.

anyone for a piss soaked carpet topped compost heap?

I was under the impression he did it in a jug in the bathroom then brought it out to the compost heap.
Even more sinister when you think about it.:eek:

I was under the impression he did it in a jug in the bathroom then brought it out to the compost heap.
Even more sinister when you think about it.:eek:
I'm old enough to remember when everyone had a piss pot to be emptied each morning .
If it were the practice today, docs' work load would increase ,rendering treatment to peoples' big toes after drunkenly kicking said pot that hadn't been properly replaced under the bed :willy_nilly:
VM

"Oh! ....the spillages!"

all the more reason to proudly dispense directly in open air - although need to be careful about wind direction.

many a time as a lad sleeping in my grandparents house I'd get up and put my foot in it!!

My uncle Dan, who lived in a luxury mobile home, years ago won a prize for the best kept lawn in Mumbles - when the Mayor - presenting the prize asked for his secret........... I think you can guess the rest!

many a time as a lad sleeping in my grandparents house I'd get up and put my foot in it!!

My uncle Dan, who lived in a luxury mobile home, years ago won a prize for the best kept lawn in Mumbles - when the Mayor - presenting the prize asked for his secret........... I think you can guess the rest!
As a boy it was popular to beg 'lant' from the 'lant pit' of local piggeries to use as a fertiliser . Lant being the term used for urine :)
VM

Back