Hives in gardens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveq

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Would like to start beekeeping next year.
Looking to place hives in friends garden as the wife wont let me keep them in ours.
One side have children but dont mind them being there.
The garden is 60 foot long be 22 and has tall hedges on two sides.
Would like members opinions on the pros and cons of keeping bees in urban gardens.
Thanks

would recommend you get involved with your local association and see if an experienced beeks is willing to have a look for you, it really does depend on the individual location I think.

If neighbours are fine with it then down worry too much, but you need to have a back up plan in case there is a sudden problem and they demand they are moved.

I currently have 5 hives but may be moving house, to be fair to neighbours I would only keep 2 hives to help keep the peace.

Would like to start beekeeping next year.
Looking to place hives in friends garden as the wife wont let me keep them in ours.

Thanks
Why? Maybe for the same reasons your friend's neighbours might?

No malice, just a thought

Edited to say.......sorry that's not really constructive. I would give serious thought to an out apiary. You've got all winter to chat up the local farmers etc.

Last edited:
I decided against keeping bees in my garden because the neighbours have young children. Our gardens are small. I could see problems like the bees spotting the neighbours washing, not liking all the barbeque smoke, attacking people who are using petrol mowers etc, finding water in peoples ponds, paddling pools, taps. I also thought that my bees would get the blame for any bee or wasp which stung someone so that I would have to move the bees away.

I am glad I decided not to have bees here. I keep spare equipment in the garden and have been asked several times "There arn't any bees in there are there?"

It's still a pain to get to the out apiary though.

Yes a back up plan essential. I had a hive 100 yrds away from houses at the bottom of the garden. Got the ok with neighbors beforehand, all fine for a year but in year 2 a few minutes after an inspection a neighbor decided to get the lawnmower out. 30mins later he and his young grandaughter were both stung and a heated discussion ensued giving me little alternative but to re site. Fortunately I have farming friends who were far enough away to offer an alternative site. It is more satisfying to have the bees close at hand but less worry if they are sited where they are not likely to upset neighbors

Hi Dave

I am also starting beekeeping next year and intend to have hives in my front garden,
which is quite large and has a small hedge on the road side.
I do live in a small village though with hardly any traffic or people walking down our lane,
so am hoping all will be ok.

Hi Dave

I am also starting beekeeping next year and intend to have hives in my front garden,
which is quite large and has a small hedge on the road side.
I do live in a small village though with hardly any traffic or people walking down our lane,
so am hoping all will be ok.

Sounds very risky to me. Bees are not always nicely behaved, plus if your hive is in public view then there is a big risk of theft.

Is definitely not in public view. The hedge shields any view from the road into garden as the lane lies slightly lower and as I have said, a really quiet lane.

gawd you have got me worrying now!

Just have somewhere you can move them to when (note when not if) you have problems.

I agree with Veg, front garden sites could create all sorts of problems, postie, milkman etc etc, getting to the front door if the bees are feisty you will create problems for yourself

Is definitely not in public view. The hedge shields any view from the road into garden as the lane lies slightly lower and as I have said, a really quiet lane.

gawd you have got me worrying now!

I have bees in my garden, nice bees for the most part. But there are times when my nice bees have very little to do, other than patrol an area of around 10 Meters around their hive. This includes flying over 7 foot fences that fall in that 10 Meter patrol area.

When my nice bees have nothing better to do other than patrol their area, they love to play a game called "Chase the neighbours around and around". My nice friendly bees love it! But unfortunately, my nice neighbours don't :eek:

I would just go for it I am next year, I have had 20 years of miserable neighbors, your dog is barking, your parrot is noisy the kids are to loud can you stop reeving your bike the kids music is to loud while they wash the cars and on and on. this time they may have something to moan about :)

I would just go for it I am next year, I have had 20 years of miserable neighbors, your dog is barking, your parrot is noisy the kids are to loud can you stop reeving your bike the kids music is to loud while they wash the cars and on and on. this time they may have something to moan about :)

Until they take you to court.

Why aggravate them further you will be responsible if they get stung and will have to move the bees elsewhere.

Thanks all for your advice.
If I can find another place to put them all the better.
May ask around local garden centres if they have a quiet corner or a farm.

Because its my house my land, you really have to live it to understand it.

Whatever ..... I will give my bees 150% of my attention and take any trouble that comes my way, if I end up having to move them I will. I do not live my life asking neighbors for permission to have an hobby.

Until they take you to court.

Why aggravate them further you will be responsible if they get stung and will have to move the bees elsewhere.

Take you to court for what?!

You should write for the Daily Mail!

Latest posts

Back