whats the latest in the year that you've seen queens get mated at?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
the reason i ask i that i took a queen out of a nuc last saturday and placed her in a full queenless hive,if they have drawn any good queen cells i might leave one to see what happens rather than unit.
Darren

I've noticed that the drones are looking less cocky when flying back into the hives!

So I fancy your new Qs will be too late...

I have had queens mated in early october in the past,but the weather and availability of drones is the major factor.

Hi BLD why not buy a Queen and save 4 to 6 week's, you may then have a Queen laying within 4 to 10 days or so. You also risk having a poorly mated Queen. Andy.

In my first year I had the bee inspector visit in the middle of September. One colony still had drones and was in the middle of superceding. He told me to let them get on with it. There was a mated and laying queen the following spring.

Frisbee

Darren, leave the bees to it. I was through a couple of colonies belonging to a friend yesterday evening and they have plenty of drones in them. My own observation is that colonies with recently mated Queens in them still have their drones present but I am starting to see some of my colonies with queens mated in the early summer beginning to harass drones....
I have one queen that has just started to lay within the past couple of days (capped QC placed in a 6F Nuc on 28th July, Q emerged approx. 1st August) and she has produced a nice laying pattern across 2 frames. I'll know if she is properly mated next week...

In my first year I had the bee inspector visit in the middle of September. One colony still had drones and was in the middle of superceding. He told me to let them get on with it. There was a mated and laying queen the following spring.

Frisbee

Which just goes to show the bees know what they're doing a long time before we do.

the reason i ask i that i took a queen out of a nuc last saturday and placed her in a full queenless hive,if they have drawn any good queen cells i might leave one to see what happens rather than unit.
Darren

Don't have the time to stand and watch. Rude and intrusive anyway!!!

Latest posts

Back