Mite Zapper??????????????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Anyone come across the Mite Zapper (Google It) ????

American product at $32 is a 19" frame of plastic Drone sized Brood
Once laid up and capped the frame is connected to a 12v battery....
Drone cells are heated to kill drone and varroa mite which workers remove so process can be repeated over drone laying months......
Yet another use for the Peltier effect diode!!!!!
Wonder if they make it in Std National DN4 size...... seems a plausable idea?

:troll: shocking for the Drones!!!:hurray:

Dreadful waste of the girls' effort and energy.

Perhaps fine for Yanks with 30,000 hives. Do they wire in parallel or in series; LOL.

Dreadful waste of the girls' effort and energy.

Perhaps fine for Yanks with 30,000 hives. Do they wire in parallel or in series; LOL.
:
toetap05::toetap05::toetap05::toetap05::toetap05::toetap05::toetap05:
I expect the mites find new Ohms to go to...... must be the KillaVolts.....

Wonder what the Capacity is?... also kills milliants and wire worms?
What is the Resistance of a varroa mite anyway????

:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Surely for a healthy hive you need a certain percentage of drone?? Zappiing hundreds at a time cannot be too healthy...No ta, Not on my pressie list...

Looks like a good idea - for someone with a spare £75 to try out.

I wonder what the true cost is compared to other methods. All have a cost, not usually considered by the average hobby beek. Drone culling requires a laying stint of 2-3 days for the queen and time effort, and honey equivalent, for the comb building followed by bees nursing the brood for 5 days,feeding them copious amounts of nectar/pollen derived food. All to be discarded for what may not be an effective control in all circumstances.

Maybe a sugar roll and culling the first patch of capped brood is a better route on a temporarily broodless (capped) colony, after all?