Honey Bees Require Removal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomrip

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys , i Have a honey bee nest in my composter alongside my home, I understand from my local pest control company that they may be of some interest to beekeepers, I am in Wigan 2minutes from junction 25 M6, please contact me for details 07843 886470, Dave

Contact your local beekepers association or loook on the website of British beekepers association. The later has a list of local beekepers that may be able to help.
They also have a help guide to identify different types of bees.
However, I have seen ussually wasps or bumble bees nesting on on composters.
I had a waspnest myself in a plastic compost bin :0

Contact your local beekepers association or loook on the website of British beekepers association. The later has a list of local beekepers that may be able to help.
They also have a help guide to identify different types of bees.
However, I have seen ussually wasps or bumble bees nesting on on composters.
I had a waspnest myself in a plastic compost bin :0

I went to collect a swarm from a compost bin this year. Bit of a job though, tiny cluster hanging from inside of lid, bigger cluster hanging from inside rim, most of the colony, 1 bee depth, was enjoying the warmth of the grass cuttings that had dried out and was tapered from bottom to top in such away to give most surface area. I missed the queen twice, but had forgotten to ask the house owner (who is petrified of bees and had a little kid and cat sized dog with her) if I could lift the bin off and make a huge mess. So, I debeed and told the lady that I thought I'd missed her but would come back in the morning (it was getting rather cool by now).
When I went back in the morning (only 1/2 mile from home) they had gone! When I got home that evening, a swarm, looking very much like the the ones I'd tried to collect had moved into nuc box top of my drive:.)

I havent lifted the lid as i know nothing about bees and didnt want to annoy them, luckily i have a number of people locally interested in collecting them, just waiting for a couple of days to see if they move on first as theyve only been there 3 days,the numbers and activity is growing though,

Contact secretary at ormskirk and croston beekeepers. They have members in that area. Just try ormskirkbeekeepers

Your instincts are right, if you dont have the protective gear then lifting the lid on an established colony of unkown size is a no,no. Removal is normally straight forward, Your local association is the best starting point, they often have swarm control pages on the web site. Complication will be the comb cut out, depending on what it is adhering to. This is a wholey viable removal. Example of a very small colony removal below. R

Last edited:
looking very much like the the ones I'd tried to collect had moved into nuc box top of my drive
go on.....you've got to do better than that to make us really believe they followed you:party:

Oh no they won't!!

....... Come out on their own!

I have experienced this very thing. Reported as a swarm but they had been in residence for more than a year. An unsuspecting ( and fortunate) sole had attempted to twist the lid off and thought it was stuck. The combs weighed down with stores fell off onto the compost. The bees made more suspended inside the lid and stuck it all together. I built a platform with a nice clean hive on top with an interconnecting tube. Whilst the bees would use the route as an exit, i could not persuade queeny to give up her pigsty for my desres.

In the end, i cut out the whole lot. Chose the hottest day that year to do it. What a mess. Still they settled down in their new home very quickly.

So my tip is get a beekeeper round sharpish and cut them out. Plenty of time left to build up.

Regards

FB

Latest posts

Back