Oh what a girl!!! my apis mileffera mileffera queen(photos)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Here are a few photos of my pride and joy for this year. I took about 30lb of horsechestnut honey off the hive earlier this year and since then they have filled another 4 commercial super and have started to go up into the 5th.None of this was oilseed rape , but just general forage. They are on single national brood and not a sign or attempt of them drawing out a queen cell so far.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pretty turquoise thorax tattoo :)

That left wing is clipped I presume?

*sniff* yeah, alright, she has a nice body.....I'll give you that, but her legs can't compare with our Madge ;)

Lol! Great pics, as always :)

She's a 2009 Queen if colour coding accurate .
Should the colony show signs of swarming/supercedure, I should retain her for use as a breeder Queen.
I have such a Queen from Alnwick , same age , she was placed in a nuc this year and has since filled a 14x12 and now into a super . remember we had an horrendous May/June !.
I read a good article entitled 'Don't be in too much of a hurry to dispatch older Queens'
Can't for the life of me think where?
Er! and no ,it wasn't in Gay News :)
VM

She's a 2009 Queen if colour coding accurate .
Should the colony show signs of swarming/supercedure, I should retain her for use as a breeder Queen.
I have such a Queen from Alnwick , same age , she was placed in a nuc this year and has since filled a 14x12 and now into a super . remember we had an horrendous May/June !.
I read a good article entitled 'Don't be in too much of a hurry to dispatch older Queens'
Can't for the life of me think where?
Er! and no ,it wasn't in Gay News :)
VM

Can I head the queue for one of her progeny if you do?not worthy

anything of that quality is always keep. i had marked her down for requeening at the start of the year as they were a tiny bit jumpy to the hand when the honey flow stopped. I wont use her as a breeder queen , but will certinally keep her going for another year.

Nice to see an older, productive Queen! Do any forumers have productive Queens that are older than this one of Keith's?

By requeening annually is there a risk that beekeepers are failing to select queens that are productive over a number of years?

Latest posts

Back