Ply Hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Thinking of getting a fr**** p**** ply 14x12 national hive with 2 supers as it seems really good value plus for the same price as t****s i can get a 14x12 cedar nucleus box included (i'm taking this would be ok to do artifical swarms in if needed) for the same price as the begineers t****s actually cheaper when you consider your not getting 14x12's.....

I'm a completly begineer weight shouldnt be a problem to begin with as im still young at the moment. Once i've got past my first year i'll probably go down the cedar route.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris

Close enough to go and look. No experience of their hives, but they are not quite as 'honest' in their descriptions as I would like (actual past experience, here).

Some on this forum have reported less than perfect kit, so I would suggest, if you really think they are good value. to 'look see' first and not order by internet.

The 14 x 12 format is quite heavy, especially when the box is full of stores. I would not want the extra weight (am actively looking at the lighter poly hives which are very competitive, even with FP, I would imagine). I have not compared, but I have considered ply hives in the past; I would not be interested in FP hives).

You also say the weight is not a problem 'to begin with'. A good hive should last 30 years (although I have my doubts about these ply hives) or more.

Once bought you have to go with it, (especially if you are on a tight budget). I look at the lifetime cost of a hive, not just it's initial cost. Check/price out maintenance costs - the initial apparent savings may soon be gobbled up.

PM me if you want any more detail.

Regards, RAB

I had three ply supers from these people and I found them difficult to assemble because of some warping and decided they were too heavy for me so I have told my mentor he can have them as a small thank you (that sounds as though it's a bad gift but I explained and I think he is happy to have them as spares). I have also visited their warehouse and they have some products I really like - their stands for example are that little bit higher. They give BKA's a 10% discount once the BKA has registered with them. It takes me about one and a half hours from Hereford to Ellesmere which is close to Oswestry and FP. Incidentally. Ellesmere is a hidden gem of a place - lots going on in the town and the mere (lake) almost every weekend so if you are a family man you may be able to combine a family outing with a visit there. It is like the Lake District without the crowds.
I would say think about mix and match as well - you don't have to have all ply or all cedar and it makes sense to start with a cheaper option and if you hate the hobby or the material you can use them as spares later. Some things like roofs won't be that heavy whatever they are made from.
Tricia

I live 20 mins away from Oswestry and I don't use them.

Maybe you could use the forum search function to see what others think of their products ?

Ply usually falls apart or delaminates after a couple of rainfalls. They always look damp.

Yes, I've seen them - Don't. They're fo indoor use at v best.

I make my hives from Ply, from 18mm Marine Ply to be exact. Treated they will last 10+ years.

Marine Ply does not fall to bits in the rain, but cheep indoor ply does. To be fair i made my shed from Marine Ply 12 years ago, my shed is 5 Meters square and 3.4 Meters high. I have never once given it a treatment with any wood preserver, so i would say that Marine Ply is good for 10+ years Untreated, but its safer to quote that figure as a treated one.

I bought a couple of the cheapo hives from FP. I used them initially as a pattern and now produce all my own brood boxes out of ply. If you use a good quality ply you will not have a problem with de-laminating and they should last at least ten years.
I know many have had problems with FP but my experience is the opposite and have never had a problem with their service or products, taking into account price paid.
BTW
The two original brood boxes were eventually assembled and in use as bait hives they have been out continually for last two years and still look okay.
Cheers
S

I build hives out of ply, and thus far...

1) Exterior ply is "WBP" - or "Weather and Boil Proof". Interior ply is none of these and will quickly fall apart if left outside.

2) The cheapest grade is shuttering ply - looks manky (no surface veneer) and tends to warp. Fine for "summer peak" supers, no good for a 14x12 that will be out all winter.

3) The next grade up is veneered - so looks nice on the outside. So far this has been very stable for me, but it is certainly heavy.

As long as you use good (waterproof) glue, and have a good grade of WBP, and use linseed (or similar) to protect it annually, I don't see why ply hives should not last for 10 years. They certainly are cheap, I can make a 14x12 brood in 18mm ply for about £12 a box. I mainly use mine for summer "kit emergencies", and will try and make sure that colonies are in cedar for the winter.

Cedar is best; it's resale value will be much better than ply so if you think of giving up you'll sell cedar for a decent price so probably cheaper int he long run - and it'll last for 30 years; ply is unlikely to.

Thanks all, looks like i might have to go the t****e's route then upgrade to 14x12 that way.

We have started to build our own hives in pine and looked at ply but discounted it due to weight, and appearance. Not everyone will make the choices we do...

However, have you considered starting with a Polyhive? I believe they ate cheap, lightweight, have good insulation properties, and are available from a number of suppliers. If I was starting out again I would consider these hives...

One other thought is that I have never used FP but after all the reports I would take 5 minutes and read the thread for yourself and make your own view.

All the best,
Sam

I looked at mb but i'll be honest poly doesnt really look that nice was a bit worried about me chipping it off over time too. Does seem good value for money though, does seem you have to go down the langstroth route though on mb as they dont really do full kit's for national's.

I build all my own from ply. Survived two winters so far and still look fine. Just make sure you treat and use water proof glue. I then painted them, so they look nice... Also bought some stuff from FP and it seems good value. I think people have had more problems with their nucs than hives etc.

Dave

I bought a cedar hive from Thornes 2 weeks ago, I got a complete hive with 2 supers, all with frames aqnd foundation, gloves, good quality smock, Stainless hive tool and a smoker, all for £275, I thoght that was a good deal, and it wasn't a 'bees on a budget' hive either..............

I bought a marine ply 14x12 brood and a super. I'm keeping the super as a spare as I'm just a skinny lassie and I don't think I would be able to lift it full of honey. Will have to enlist help of him indoors if I ever need to move the brood. The roof is stunningly heavy too. Going to try cedar next.

Hive bought from FP

Hi I bouhgt a cedar hive from FP and admittedly it was cheap and it looked it when I received it but it is working OK. My beef was the delivery time, they promised 7 days, took my money immediately but took nearly 6 weeks to deliver the hive. If you need a hive quickly or one of quality don't go to them.

Pete

M*dern managed to get me a poly hive by the next day! So far I am not regretting going poly at all. M*dern carry all the bits you need to do a poly national, just for some reason they don't offer it as a package. I am sure thay would be happy to help you with a shopping list. I chose to go with wooden frames and foundation from Th*rnes, who also managed really fast delivery after I begged them. Very happy with both companies at the moment.

David

I saw a piece of F P kit a short while ago and was amazed and apalled.

I would countenance viewing said equipment before parting with your cash, and making your own value judgements.

I make all my own boxes, albeit in a slightly unorthadox manner and each box carries an £8 fixed cost for rails, but beyond that the two 18mm ply side plates and 9mm ply between the top and bottom rails front and back, which for supers is almost offcut sizes. I am happy that despite having little woodworking skills at all, I now produce a box of a good quality, as I see it. The article that I saw I would have been disappointed had it been made by myself.

Latest posts

Back