Zest thermal block hives Dorset

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
A man from Dorset gave a talk at a friend's association in N Devon the other day.

She won't be ordering one but the designer, an architect, is promoting them and has written a book. Also makes bamboo articulated frames.

Nowhere to clean out bottom until yearly climb in and shovel the rubbish out! Must stress the bees having a pile of rubbish beneath them, as they're all good housekeepers.

She said he brought about ten nuclei of bees for the association but illogically they were made from ply.

See some interesting stuff.

Anybody ordering one or heard of them?

Idea has been around for years - saw it in BKQ. Not sure if the individual you speak of is the originator of the idea or the copier of it.

Great until you want to move a colony. And I wonder if you need planning permission seen as we are talking built structures.

And I wonder if you need planning permission seen as we are talking built structures.

Under 40m2 should just require building regs.. fire escapes for occupants as hives are HMO, (Houses of multiple occupancy), access to all areas of the building for fire engines, a check on the U-values etc as well :ack2:

Now advertised BBKA news this month page 11 with complimentary advert page 29.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, as I came across a reference to the 'Zest Hive' earlier today, and was mildy interested to see what was so revolutionary about it - until I found out that you have to pay £6 to read a book which explains why you should shell-out another £160 for .... what ?

Luckily I was able to find a video which shows anyone with a few grey cells all they need to know about the basics of this design:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMmmhJBCIE[/ame]

Turns out the £160 then, is for a few quid's worth of wood above the Thermalite(tm) or similar blocks which you have to provide yourself.

Apart from the cost (outrageous) and obvious lack of portability - I don't see any means for keeping those blocks dry. If they get wet, then they'll lose their U-value, and should there be a frost when they're wet, then they'll start to disintegrate.

Can't really see me ever making a 'Zest Hive'.
LJ

Latest posts

Back