Bee stings and how to avoid them

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
This is a book printed by British bee Publications LTD written by H M Pearson A.CG.I B,Sc, A.M.Inst.C.E. F.R.E.S. BBKA Honours in lecturing, Expert (sounds impressive) apart from a good bit on the physiology of the bee sting and basic common sense advice on manipulations/ not p****ng the bees off no magic formulae on how to avoid being stung.but an interesting read especially the bit about protective clothing:
For some reason bees are antipathetic to black the colour therefore should be avoided...tweeds are undesirable as well as those whose texture is hairy (thats the gorilla suit out then!!:)) Material which possesses a smooth surface with the maximum porosity is to be preferred whenever possible (jury's out on the gimp suit too:biggrinjester:) ...the bees do not approve of leather (last bit of fun out as well then:()
"for men, almost any form of clothing, except possibly kilts:eek:, is suitable, but in hot weather, an open necked shirt is most pleasant to work in....when one is more accustomed to working among bees(?!!)....a coat can be dispensed with and shirt sleeves rolled up above the elbows.

Bee suit, wellies, gauntlets pshah! we're all a bunch of wimps.:biggrinjester:
Oh as an afterthought:
"when trousers are worn (when wouldn't you though!!) the bottoms should be secured by cycle clips or elastic bands or by drawing men's socks over the lower extremities (not sure if that is when the trousers option not taken! :D)"just a thought for those who have been stung on the gonads!!!!!
I think he got the title of this book a leetle wrong eh?

he's clearly not met the common and garden Yorkshire black bee in 'queenless' mode then! Open shirt collar? You'd think twice about opening the hive remotely from a Hummer.

Bee stings and how to avoid them

Don't become a beekeeper.

This is a book printed by British bee Publications LTD written by H M Pearson A.CG.I B,Sc, A.M.Inst.C.E. F.R.E.S. BBKA Honours in lecturing, Expert (sounds impressive) apart from a good bit on the physiology of the bee sting and basic common sense advice on manipulations/ not p****ng the bees off no magic formulae on how to avoid being stung.......
......I think he got the title of this book a leetle wrong eh?

Thanks for the warning. That book won't be going onto my wanted list.
It sounds like a waste of money and reading time. Did it have any useful tips at all?

Thanks for the warning. That book won't be going onto my wanted list.
It sounds like a waste of money and reading time. Did it have any useful tips at all?

There was two good paragraphs on how to manipulate an aggressive hive with a view to finding the queen - basically move hive 3 feet or so, leave new brood box on old site wait an hour so most of the flying bees will be in new brood so less bees to fight when examining frames.

Apparently this book was printed in 1970 although it feels more like late 1940's
"there are lady beekeepers who manage in skirts, but it might be better if you could try and source a pair of slacks for beekeeping"
It was also reprinted in 2010 and they are asking fourteen pounds plus for them on Amazon something which is basically a paperback pamphlet:eek:!

I suppose that the author was keen to recoup the cost of his education. I see he has lots of qualifications, but few relevant to the subject matter.

I'll suggest how to avoid stings when dealing with an aggressive hive. A winter wetsuit, bootees hood mask and gloves under your normal gear. Works every time!

Yup, lady-trousers, usually with a side zip rather than a front one. Very daring in the fifties, and a bit tarty, good church-going ladies wouldn't have dreamed of wearing slacks. Not sure when lady-trousers became acceptable, probably the sixties when everything became acceptable.

Back