An absolute disaster day, month....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
It happens. Not often, but when it does it seems to snowball...

Went out this am to sort out some drawn 14 x 12 frames frames for increasing the nucs to 6 frames from 3.

First box I removed was nearly full of honey, but took it anyway (gets nucs on a good footing). Then went and checked out another hive, which had loads of brood in an otherwise near-full second extra deep box, and then removed a much less full box (mostly drawn I think) from another hive, replacing with an empty drawn super.

This is where I found things had gone decidely pear shaped. I was only a matter of 40m, or less, up the hedge from the car, but when I arrived back it was burning well! Must have been lighting my smoker that did it. I was not worried about the surroundings as it was decidedly damp, but my bag of shavings may well have collected a hot ember and gone up.

There was no chance of saving anything - I considered it, but it was not safe to open a front door to reach my best beesuit and my personal belongings, secreted under, as the back windows blew out.

A passing driver had seen the smoke and thought someone was trying to top themselves as there were boards propped against the bumper (he thought they were over the exhaust! He had dialled three 9's before I appeared. We waited and steadied the traffic as it was an inferno (car was full of honey, wax (in frames), supers, a brood a roof, floors and excluders (the only non-flammable item!) and other parts and personal belongings.

Then the engine started and it trundled across the road into a hedge! Panic! It trundled into the wide hedge, turned 90 degrees, and then went along the centre for about 10-15m before jamming under a fallen tree and continued to set fire to the hedge.

Eventually the fire brigades - both Oakham and Stamford tenders turned out - dealt with the blaze. Nothing left of the car or contents except a smouldering shell.

Anyway by now I had rung my wife and told her I was 'car-less' and asked her to pick me up. She duly arrived to find my predicament, to her horror!

Things then went from bad to worse. A bee stung her on the top of her head. I scraped the sting out and told her to sit in the car (safer). A matter of a very few minutes later she got out of the car said something like "I'm not feeling very well' and promptly went out like a light. Collapsed unconscious by the car. Firemen administered oxygen and the second emergency service was called. After what seemed like an age (it was an age!) the ambulance arrived and transported her to Peterbourough, stopping, en route, to administer adrenaline.

The Hospital put it down as a severe allergic reaction, but the ambulance was summoned for a suspected anaphalactic shock. The ambulance crew arrived from Melton Mowbray, some twenty miles or so distant. She is now recovering at home, thankfully.

What a day. I went back later this pm and picked up the box of extra deeps I had forgotten about in the melee. Amazingly, it was not being robbed out by many bees.

Only just a month ago J's car was destroyed by some russian lorry driver who changed lanes on the A1 and side-swiped her rear end spinning her into the armco and then across both lanes of the carriageway.

As usual a near full tank of fuel, just been serviced and the MOT was renewed just this last week (would have expired in about another two weeks - I could have saved another £150+ if I had left it for another week!

It will be hard to replace the little pogo - absolutely reliable over the last 40k miles with only normal service item replacements in the time we have had it....

And at least J is recovering. I now need to seriously re-appraise my hobby.....

RAB

I'm sorry to hear that Rab, I'm just glad everyone is ok after a very stressful day.

It happens. Not often, but when it does it seems to snowball...

Went out this am to sort out some drawn 14 x 12 frames frames for increasing the nucs to 6 frames from 3.

First box I removed was nearly full of honey, but took it anyway (gets nucs on a good footing). Then went and checked out another hive, which had loads of brood in an otherwise near-full second extra deep box, and then removed a much less full box (mostly drawn I think) from another hive, replacing with an empty drawn super.

This is where I found things had gone decidely pear shaped. I was only a matter of 40m, or less, up the hedge from the car, but when I arrived back it was burning well! Must have been lighting my smoker that did it. I was not worried about the surroundings as it was decidedly damp, but my bag of shavings may well have collected a hot ember and gone up.

There was no chance of saving anything - I considered it, but it was not safe to open a front door to reach my best beesuit and my personal belongings, secreted under, as the back windows blew out.

A passing driver had seen the smoke and thought someone was trying to top themselves as there were boards propped against the bumper (he thought they were over the exhaust! He had dialled three 9's before I appeared. We waited and steadied the traffic as it was an inferno (car was full of honey, wax (in frames), supers, a brood a roof, floors and excluders (the only non-flammable item!) and other parts and personal belongings.

Then the engine started and it trundled across the road into a hedge! Panic! It trundled into the wide hedge, turned 90 degrees, and then went along the centre for about 10-15m before jamming under a fallen tree and continued to set fire to the hedge.

Eventually the fire brigades - both Oakham and Stamford tenders turned out - dealt with the blaze. Nothing left of the car or contents except a smouldering shell.

Anyway by now I had rung my wife and told her I was 'car-less' and asked her to pick me up. She duly arrived to find my predicament, to her horror!

Things then went from bad to worse. A bee stung her on the top of her head. I scraped the sting out and told her to sit in the car (safer). A matter of a very few minutes later she got out of the car said something like "I'm not feeling very well' and promptly went out like a light. Collapsed unconscious by the car. Firemen administered oxygen and the second emergency service was called. After what seemed like an age (it was an age!) the ambulance arrived and transported her to Peterbourough, stopping, en route, to administer adrenaline.

The Hospital put it down as a severe allergic reaction, but the ambulance was summoned for a suspected anaphalactic shock. The ambulance crew arrived from Melton Mowbray, some twenty miles or so distant. She is now recovering at home, thankfully.

What a day. I went back later this pm and picked up the box of extra deeps I had forgotten about in the melee. Amazingly, it was not being robbed out by many bees.

Only just a month ago J's car was destroyed by some russian lorry driver who changed lanes on the A1 and side-swiped her rear end spinning her into the armco and then across both lanes of the carriageway.

As usual a near full tank of fuel, just been serviced and the MOT was renewed just this last week (would have expired in about another two weeks - I could have saved another £150+ if I had left it for another week!

It will be hard to replace the little pogo - absolutely reliable over the last 40k miles with only normal service item replacements in the time we have had it....

And at least J is recovering. I now need to seriously re-appraise my hobby.....

RAB

Don't give up, thank your lucky stars and keep going!bee-smillie
All the best
TBRNoTB

and here was I really pissed that the windscreen on my camper van still leaks after resealing it..

Has your wife ever been stung before? as I was under the impression that you also (sometimes) kept bees at home. Fortuneately for everyone the proper people were there.

Well, that's one for the annals of history to be told for ever and a day!

All you need to hear now is your wife is pregnant!
:eek:

Sorry to hear all that RAB. thank goodness you are both ok, that's the main thing.

:grouphug:Just so sorry that you've had such a disaster. Nothing anyone can say to help, but still have to express my sympathy and to say I do feel for you (both!):grouphug:

It may be due to the fact i have had a few beers, but i laughed all the way through that :eek: Sorry for your troubles but its almost something out of frank spencer. Im sure if Frank ever went beekeeping thats just how he would have done it.

Frank-Spencer-some-mothers-do-ave-em-2130049-600-435.jpg

Last edited:
It may be due to the fact i have had a few beers, but i laughed all the way through that :eek: Sorry for your troubles but its almost something out of frank spencer. Im sure if Frank ever went beekeeping thats just how he would have done it.

Sorry Rab, I must agree!;)

PS. There for the grace ... etc

Last edited:
Blimey! That's one hell of a day..
You'll look back on it and laugh eventually.
Your insurance claim will be interesting. - Makes me think of the ones Jasper carrot used to read out. :)
I hope that sting reaction was a one-off.

Better luck for the future.

Bees, a car and equipment can be replaced, people cant. Anything else I could say would sound trite and pointless but really glad you are both okay.
Hope you both recover soon
S

Winker

Yes, that's all very well but his wife isn't called Betty!

(I'm sure he's referred to her in earlier posts as Queenie)

Thanks all for the replies. Not so bad - still got J too cuddle up to, and no, she is unlikely to fall pregnant at her age!

It's only money.

Regards to all, RAB

Don't give the game up just because of one mishap Rab, we need your input on this forum (even though some of it stings!;))
And i thought I have some bad days!
p.s. don't mention the smoker on the insurance claim - must have been an electrical fault!

Latest posts

Back