Hogg Half comb cassettes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'll admit from the start that I'm trying to run before I can walk when it comes to producing comb honey but...

Any views on using Hogg halfcomb cassettes to produce section honey in the UK?

I'm tempted to try them later this year, either for the main summer flow which I hope is going to magically start soon or possibly on the heather moors.

Thanks!

Not tried them but I did give ross rounds a shot but have since abandoned them in favour of cut comb ( less wasteage and more final product for your bees in my experience ). Mind you, honey flows in my area can be intermitent at best sopme years.

I have mentioned this before but if these are the square cassettes then note a couple of things. The foundation can go in two ways up. Don't put it in upside down!!! or the bees won't use it. I found difficulties in getting them to build to the outside of each box. You almost have to focrce them to fully fill the super by not giving them room to build anywhere else. they will build on ordinary super frames in preference. Hope this helps
E
:beatdeadhorse5:

I believe they will only fill comb honey nicely if they have no other option and then only when there is a strong flow.

Enrico is correct, watch that the hexagon point is to the top in the foundation.

Super product if done right.

Thanks, huntsman666, for the answer to the question which I was about to ask !

Thanks for the replies so far. I know all the caveats about nectar flow/colony strength in UK vs USA when it comes to comb honey.

A bit more info about them so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.
This is an individual cassette:

HC.JPG

The base is plastic embossed with wax.

And here is 40 of them in a section rack:

HC20.jpg

FInally an individual cassette ready to sell:

HC7.jpg

Mmm a bit different to the days when I used wooden ones!!! Be interested to see how you get on!
E

The whole point of using round cassettes is to get away from the issue that bedevils section production which i9s that the bees like to work on a circular manner.

Any comb honey needs a good flow and I had good results with the rounds on the heather.

Sadly the strains of section friendly bees, usually AMM please note, have mostly been lost in favour of simple extraction as its easier.

They may work very well in warmer climes but I wouldn't want them as a gift.

And if you don't know then I will tell you that I only work for comb honey.

PH

Hello Jimmy.

I like wooden sections but this is the first time I've see these plastic ones

I'd like to investigate further, so any chance of a link to a supplier who has more detail and will take orders via the web? Looks like they're an american product but may be available through a nearer supplier.

I see they're called Hogg sections so I'll have a Google as well.

TIA.

Last edited:
T*h*o*r*n*e*s list them.

Some of the advertising bumph from the producers website suggests that the transparent (inside a dark hive??) edges gets round the problem of bees not liking square edges.

I tried Hogg halfcomb cassettes on the heather this year.
The image shows some representative cassettes, I got 30 of these (= a full super).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I will definitely try them again and also probably give them a go at home too.
The full weight including the plastic cassette varies between 400-420 grams. The wax is very thin and unobtrusive.
For various reasons, they remained on the hive for 2 months so have ended up quite travel stained and not pristine enough to sell. My loss is my family's gain this Xmas though.

The only downside is the cost of each unit which is close to £2 each. I sell my honey through a farm shop so they need to take a cut and I need a return as well, together this would result in a retail price of £7.50-8. That's not going to sell round here. I could sell them direct from my home but again local price pressure would limit the price to £5-£6.

Last edited:
I would advise again not to and please see my post above.

PH

Has anyone popped these in Dadants or Langstroths as not british?

Nic

Take a look at the images on p1 of the thread, I think that's a Dadant or Langstroth super with 4 rows of 10 cassettes.
Thornes sell them in 3 x 10 cassette units as this is the number that fits into their hanging section rack that drops into a standard national super.

Thanks Jimmy, that looks like 4 x 10 LS and seems right. Think I might try a couple of boxes of these next year on different hive types. Look simple and have a quirky market for this :) .

Latest posts

Back