New suit recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balloonies

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there,

I'm still a newbie and have been getting by with just a veil and thick marigold gloves, however today i got stung so perhaps its time to invest in a proper suit!
After some research I see there are lots of makes and lots of prices so I'd love to hear some opinions about what makes a good suit?

Many thanks in advance!

Balloonies

sherrif or beebeeware are excellent and well worth the expense. Buy cheap buy twice

Tried a few and currently have BBware. Holding up well so far.

I bought a MB one a few weeks ago (made by Swienty I believe), and it is fantastic. One of the best things about it is that the veil is so large and so well spaced by the hoops that even when bees try to "ping" you they can't.

Mwahahahaha! Me: 1, Bees: nul points (for now).

One to avoid at all costs unless things have changed since I wrote about it on this forum in August last year is the Fragile Planet suit - appalling suit and even worse customer service.

I have a Bee Basic and think it is great value for money.

BB Wear supply the seasonal bee inspectors with their bee suits, so they must be good. They are offering a free pair of leather gloves with every BB1 suit bought online. We buy only BB Wear suits and gloves for our association apiary.
Peter McFadden, C*nwy BKA, North Wales.

The bee suit I bought fell apart within a year. Serves me right for buying an economy one!

Bought a Sherriff Apiarist suit and it is brilliant - would buy again.

Agree sherriff or BB (which is what I wear); but you also mentioned gloves. Stick with marigolds- I spent £30 on a pair of kid leather gloves which now sit in the bottom of the box as I find marigolds so much more practical.

Agree about the marigolds - one pair lasted me pretty much the whole of last season! You are able to feel lots more than with Marigolds.

If you have a friend with a Costco or Booker account, they are cheaper than in big supermarkets.

Just ordered 2 suits (separates) from BBwear. My section of BBKA confirmed to them that I am a member and I got 20% off. Still awaiting delivery. Been happy with my all in one from them, though my bee buddy is convinced hers lets the bees in.

Brought a cheap one originally, but top zip broke. Brought my new one from bb wear, free gloves, free delivery and looks great. Spare zip for old suit got off ebay and will now do as a spare.

My Planet jacket bought in Spring is first class 10/10

Agreed with Busybees,

I have a BBwear suit, and found out after the fact that I could have got a discount because of my local association membership.

I have a BB1 full suit, which I can't fault; a word of advice though don't buy the lightweight BB101 I have seen a couple peppered with holes where the smoker has sparked onto them.

I'm starting out and like the Sherif suits but they are so darn dear, any other cheaper suits around that could fit the bill without costing the earth? I'm going to keep one hive only, anyone able to help..where should I go?
Cheers Brian H

I'm starting out and like the Sherif suits but they are so darn dear, any other cheaper suits around that could fit the bill without costing the earth? I'm going to keep one hive only, anyone able to help..where should I go?
Cheers Brian H

as said earlier, for me its Bee Basic!

Latest posts

Back